Message transfer...

bangkokbutcher

Says BelgianBoy:

BButcher !

Actually I looked today at the same thing..... I bought a new laptop today that will be delivered to me in a few days
:)

I use OE 5.0 and have about 3500 mails stored there in 45 folders for about 120 MB, so thats a lot to transfer

To explain how is a bit hard as mine here is in Dutch, but lets try : go to 'file' you can 'export' them by first converting them all to Microsoft Outlook, once that is done, select folder and choose CD and burn all.......

On the laptop, select 'import' and follow through, should be ok

Try it and tell me if it works, will tell ya how it went after I sorted mine out

Dont do what OH suggest, you'll be busy till your kids' weddings hahahaha

Cheers - BB

Hey BB,

yep sounds like you got a similar problem to mine alright, similar numbers too.

I would definately have to say that running a search for all of the .dbx files on your hard drive, copy them to disk or something.

Then when youve got the new machine, open Outlook Express, click File followed by Import and select Messages.

Browse for your 'saved messages' and then import the complete set all stored in the correct folders as before.

All in all, it was not as bad as I thought, and it worked :D

Good luck!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says BelgianBoy:

Says Peter1964:

Now you don't have to visit a cinema when you want to watch a movie
;)

May I ask: Manufacturer, model, cpu, disk, ram, screen-size, other equipment? Do you have the new Centrino™-technology? WLan? DVD-RW? ...?

Euhhhh ????? and in English please ????? hahahahaha

I'm not an expert, so I did ask an expert to help me, I bought a Toshiba 1950-801...... here are the details :

Processor type : Intel Pentium® 4 processor

speed : 2.80 GHz

2nd level cache : 512 KB

Systeemmemory standard : 512 MB max ext to : 1024 MB

technology : DDR RAM

Hard disc : 60 GB

DVD-Multi drive max peed : Read: 24x CD-ROM, 24x CD-R, 12x CD-RW, 8x DVD-ROM, 8x DVD-R, 8x DVD-RW, 2x DVD-RAM Write: 16x CD-R, 4x CD-RW, 2x DVD-R, 1x DVD-RW, 2x DVD-RAM

Diskette drive type : intern

screen : 16.0 " type : Super Fine screen TFT colour display

Graphic controller NVIDIA type : GeForce4™ 460Go

memory : 64 MB

memorytype : DDR Video RAM

graphic enhancer : 128 bit

Wireless tech : Fast InfraRed & Wireless LAN upgradeable

and some more stuff

Cheers !

Nice system BB, I have to admit though that I got a similar system from my work. However it was a 10 day return (that had not even been opened) so I got it half price 550 gbp, absolute bargain... :up:

Says xenna:

Guys,

If you ever have the choice try using an IMAP account instead of POP3. Your mail and folders stay on the server and switching e-mail clients or computers is incredibly simple.

If you want to try it have a look at fastmail or myrealbox, Two providers that give you free IMAP and webmail.

I kept telling my brother to try it but he didn't and now he lost his entire mail archive due to a hard disk crash.

Regards,

Xenna

Hi Xenna,

although I have now sorted my e-mail transfer dilemma, I have also opened an account with both of the sites you mention.

You never know when they may come in handy, it is just a shame about the 10mb storage limits..

Cheers.

Guys,

I need more help here.............

I have a PC under W98 with OE5 asking me to convert the messages first to Outlook, then what ?

The laptop working under XP and OE6 is then first asking an e-mail program..........

My mails are stored in about 40 different folders, do I need to import folder per folder then ?

A step per step program would be appreciated :)

TIA !

Cheers !

Hi BB,

There is no need to copy every map to save all your messages. Instead of copying the inbox as I previously described, you could make a copy of the outlookexpress map, which is one level up from the Inbox. Considering the fact that you have stored 3,500 messages, you may have to check first if it fits on one cd. If it does, burn a copy on cd.

Then you have to manually make all those maps again in OE6, and replace the maps (or files so you will) with the ones on your cd.

Good luck,

soongmak

Archived