Message transfer...

bangkokbutcher

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a new laptop and would like to transfer or copy all of my old messages in Outlook Express, to my new laptop using the same OE program.

Is this possible?

I have looked at the Imprt/Export tools available on OE but they only seem to transfer messages to other Email programs but not into a file that can be transferred to another computer.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says bangkokbutcher:

I have looked at the Imprt/Export tools available on OE but they only seem to transfer messages to other Email programs but not into a file that can be transferred to another computer.

The files are on your old computer somewhere & transferrable -- it's just a matter to find where they are (and copy them to any proper media for further transfer to your new 'puter). -- Now, I don't have much experience of Outlook Express, but on my system with Outlook 2002 all mails are stored in a file called "outlook.pst".

Start off checking in your Outlook Express folder on the old computer to see if there is anything that you think contains the mail. It could possibly be several files. (Compare with the Outlook Express folder on your new computer).

Hi BB,

Open Outlook Express and rightclick on your Inbox. Then click "properties". What you will find under properties is the exact location of your Inbox. It is probably some incredible long path name that should end with something like Inbox.dbx. To make sure you won't forget the path name, copy and paste it into Notepad. Now open the explorer and try to find the map containing the Inbox. There you will find also your Outbox file etc. Burn them on a Cd and replace the inbox file (Inbox.dbx) on your new computer with the old messages. Should work fine now.

Cheers,

soongmak

P.s.: Let me know if it worked!

I guess he could -- but it's really not recommendable if one has filed e-mails in several folders according to a certain system (biz here, wife here, thai girls here and so on ;)). Also, resending e-mails to oneself will mess up "send from" headers and it can be difficult to find the e-mails you want to read again...but for small quantities of e-mails it sure is a swift way to transfer :)

BButcher !

Actually I looked today at the same thing..... I bought a new laptop today that will be delivered to me in a few days :)

I use OE 5.0 and have about 3500 mails stored there in 45 folders for about 120 MB, so thats a lot to transfer :)

To explain how is a bit hard as mine here is in Dutch, but lets try : go to 'file' you can 'export' them by first converting them all to Microsoft Outlook, once that is done, select folder and choose CD and burn all.......

On the laptop, select 'import' and follow through, should be ok :)

Try it and tell me if it works, will tell ya how it went after I sorted mine out :)

Dont do what OH suggest, you'll be busy till your kids' weddings hahahaha

Cheers - BB

Soongmak was closest, all the OE files have a .dbx extension.

Do a file search for all .dbx files and save the ones with the most recent date in a separate folder (or on CD). Depending on your OS they are stored in different places, for Win 2K/XP its here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator(or your profile)\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{34BFE600-18FF-4BBA-9596-CA0D456785E983E}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Don't forget the address book is in a different folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

The in your new machine go to import > messages > OE 5 > import from OE 5 store directory > then browse for your previously saved folder of .dbx files.

Hope this helps

Archived