Lines that got you interested in Thailand?

Torneyboy

Three years ago, I was at a low point; approching 60, sick of my business, my girlfriend, my golf game and a social circle where the conversations hadn't seemed to have changed in 20 years.

I was paging through a Sunday New York Times when an ad in the travel section caught my eye: "Circle the Globe for $999.00, NYC, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Delhi, Bombay, Paris, London and back to NYC".

Within three weeks, I was on my way. HK was fun, but Thailand gave a new shake to my old bones that I never expected. I've returned twice since and will again this fall, thus giving that old circle of friends something new to talk about.

dj

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says carew66:

Me - I was looking suitably horrified by their tales. "What - they take these girls back to their hotels? And the hotel staff let them? Terrible tchh, tchh" Of course, inside I was thinking 'Fucking hell, I'll have to get there someday. Sounds like a right fucking good crack'

Makes you wonder how many people that the "god-botherers" (small g is deliberate) and "well-meaning" journo's have actually encouraged to go, doesn't it ? :devil:

Personally, I reckon that we're doing the bible-bashers a favour, by diverting attention from the paedo bishops and gay priests etc.... :censored:

:devil::beer::devil:

Asia has always been off-list for me.

Poor people dying in the streets (India) No thanks.

But in 1990 I worked for an airline an could fly for free anywhere we were flying and I was tired of visiting the Old and the New continent.

Hong Kong was our main asian destination, I planned a one week trip over there. Worked with a college in the same office who said :"are you crazy? Get out in Bangkok, don't take luggage, just a sweatshirt to keep you warm on the plane, buy all you need in Bangkok.

I was not aware of the sanuk scene, but Joe Cummings (Lonely Planet) brought me to Soi Cowboy the first night.

Altough I eventually hit Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei LOS it must be.

Around 1986 a co-worker came back from 3 weeks in Thailand. Nice fella with a outgoing personal and also very social around people. Listening to his talk around the lunch table a few days later, I overheard his one, now famous, line: " and I would pick up a floozie later... "

That one line remained in my memory for 15 years and is the driving force that steered me into a visit to Thailand. :beer:

Shit

Says Shit-Spattered Dog:

Around 1986 a co-worker came back from 3 weeks in Thailand. Nice fella with a outgoing personal and also very social around people. Listening to his talk around the lunch table a few days later, I overheard his one, now famous, line: " and I would pick up a floozie later... "

That one line remained in my memory for 15 years and is the driving force that steered me into a visit to Thailand.
:beer:

Shit

So not for the Beaches ,mountains,food etc ::

Says think_too_mut:

>Do you remember reading lines like these and thought i have to go to Thailand.

Yes, remember the lines and the likes. At that stage, I hated the place so much that I even refused to go there again! (3 times for work). Sent somebody else instead of me, for 11 days.

It was the girls that made me love Thailand. I guess, they introduced me to the country through the small door. Once I got the ground, I love Thai more than any place on the planet (after Sydney).

Now, I read those lines from your post with pleasure.

Yes me to..just a wonderfull feeling..like going home,you feel so comfortable :up:

Says torneyboy:

Says Shit-Spattered Dog:

That one line remained in my memory for 15 years and is the driving force that steered me into a visit to Thailand.

Shit

Those came later.... :)

shit

Says Shit-Spattered Dog:

Says torneyboy:

Says Shit-Spattered Dog:

Shit

Those came later....
:)

shit

""Those came later"" ::

So took your ""floosie"" to the beach...best of both worlds :up:

Archived