Lines that got you interested in Thailand?

Torneyboy

Do you remember reading lines like these and thought i have to go to Thailand.

Thailand offers a variety of natural beauty ,from spectacular beaches,to lush green jungles and rugged hillsides.With a culture rich in tradition,people who are warm and friendly Thailand the land of smiles.

OR

Bangkok City of Angles the capital and main gateway to Thailand.

An exciting city with an amazing blend of old and new,offering lively nightlife,sensational shopping,great restaurants,Wats,Museums and Palaces waiting for you to explore.

OR

Friends said you must have a look is a wonderfull country to visit...and after looking at thier photos thought yes i am going for sure.

Any of these types of lines first got you interested in Thailand?

Or maybe you got interested from another source..internet ,travel flyers under your door at home? :dunno:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Do you remember reading lines like these and thought i have to go to Thailand.

Yes, remember the lines and the likes. At that stage, I hated the place so much that I even refused to go there again! (3 times for work). Sent somebody else instead of me, for 11 days.

It was the girls that made me love Thailand. I guess, they introduced me to the country through the small door. Once I got the ground, I love Thai more than any place on the planet (after Sydney).

Now, I read those lines from your post with pleasure.

Says think_too_mut:

It was the girls that made me love Thailand. I guess, they introduced me to the country through the small door. Once I got the ground, I love Thai more than any place on the planet

TTM,

Small door ????? pun intended ???? :grinyes: :grinyes:

Good line BTW !

Cheers !

Says torneyboy:

Any of these types of lines first got you interested in Thailand?

Or maybe you got interested from another source..internet ,travel flyers under your door at home?

To be honest, I had heard something like all of those lines, and still wasn't too interested - well, you hear great things about everywhere in travel brochures don't you? I took most of it with a pinch of salt.. ::

I eventually went to BKK because a friend and I were going on a backpacking trip round south east asia, and it was the cheapest entry/exit point. Had great fun for the 5 weeks that we were travelling around, but ended up falling in love with LOS. :D

I mean, there's nowhere quite like it, is there ?

Funny thing is, I was trying to explain it to another mate of mine, and he doesn't get it either - I just think that you have to have been to truly understand.

:devil::beer::devil:

No line like that at all but just my general interest in Asia that brought me here.

Thailand was the safest bet IMO to start off on my first individual trip that brought me outside Europe and the fact that it was cheap to travel didn't hurt my interest neither.

In general phrases like these won't attract my attention at all, I rather explore on my own what a place has to offer by other means. Travel guides, reports etc, not the standard travel agent brochure phrases.

i had no real motive to visit Thailand for the 1st time.

just needed a holiday after watching my Dad die from Cancer and looked through many brouchures and thought Thailand looked a nice place to visit.

booked the trip and after 8 nights in Patong i was hooked.

still a newbie,only 5 trips in all,but every trip enlightened me.

Oh God, A mixture of things I guess - and none of them honourable. TV, newspapers, magazines...

I suppose I could pin it down to a friend of mine - a real up-his-own-arse 'traveller' of Asia. I guess you all know the type; the 'poverty tourist' who thinks it's so rinky-dinky seeing all the little brown people still doing things the way they have for generations yah? Never occurs to them that these places weren't invented for gap-year wankers so they could have something to put on their CVs when they went for a job in the City.

Oh - and him and his missus were God-Botherers to boot.

But I digress...

He was telling me all these 'horrific' stories of the Bangkok nightlife. Of course he and ol' hairy shins were probably touring the slums and saying 'Ahh aren't they poor but happy'.

Me - I was looking suitably horrified by their tales. "What - they take these girls back to their hotels? And the hotel staff let them? Terrible tchh, tchh" Of course, inside I was thinking 'Fucking hell, I'll have to get there someday. Sounds like a right fucking good crack'

Also, any TV programme or media article, whose tone was supposedly pejorative, I would always make a point of watching. If in mixed company I would make all the right noises of course.

When I first went there I realised that someone somewhere had been telling me porkie pies. I'm not that stupid, I know that there is no 'paradise', I know of the illusions that are created and that I buy into - but fuck it. There are enough plaster saints in the world right?

Beaches are good though aren't they? ::

Archived