Worried about terrorist bombing during APEC Summit

I was thinking about a trip to Farangland today,wondering when would be the best time to go.I was reading about the increased security during the APEC Summit in October and the thought came to me that might be a good time to go.

With the Jakarta bombing fresh in my mind,I started thinking about the possibility that Bangkok could be a serious target before and during the summit.

What do you think?Will you be comfortable enough to hang out in the tourist areas at that time?

Best Regards,Stan

BKKStan,

The APEC meeting is on october 24th and all heads of State will be well protected, all major venues will be.

With the increase of police force and checkpoints, there will be also lots more traffic, and I'm not even speaking of all the streetblockings that 'specials transports' will create :)

Hence the officials are now trying to get some extra days off for people in Bangkok.

As to see that all is garanteed, nobody could say that, and indeed the risk is highly increased for that meeting.

What to do ? That is 'up to you' as they say....... maybe take a break and go for a few days to SIN ?

Cheers !

Don't sweat it. Muslim extremists tend to like soft targets, as they are mostly gutless murderers.

They haven't targeted high security areas in any of their attacks. As these guys are not really warriors but simply opportunist murderers they tend to go for soft targets.

Ermm, not that my opinion on these total scumbag pigs who kill in the name of a religion they are far too stupid too truly understand is really relevant.

Did I mention that I think they are gutless motherless children of whores?

Oh, maybe I did. :neener::cussing::neener: :onfire:

I think any of the threats and dangers have to be taken into preportion. Since 9/11 there have been a couple of incidents in Indonesia and a few in Phillipines. It is not a daily, weekly or even monthly affair. Sure the results can be devestating but to me the risk is still barely higher than the plane I arrive in LOS on crashing.

Having said that it wouldnt surprise me if there is an incident in Thailand in the next year or two. Southern Thailand is a Muslim area. Compared to countries such as Malaysia, Singapore and Phillipines Thailand has been a bit reluctant to take strong anti-terror measures. Up until recently they used to just flatly deny extremists were in their country when most reports have said many extremists have spent time in southern Thailand crossing over from Malaysia with relative ease. After Bali and now Jakarta Indonesia will really start to crack down so to me Thailand suddenly beacomes an easier target in the region.

On top of that police and security people I see in Thailand and from what I hear are often incompetant, corrupt or fairly casual about how they do their job. Somehow I think it would be easier to get around or bluff Thai security compared with Malaysian, singaporean or even Indonesian.

Anyway lets hope it never happens but I wouldnt be changing any travel plans to Thailand due to the APEC meeting. Life is too short, in my opinion any time you can get a trip to LOS you should go, terroists or not.

Archived