Why do we Refer to Bangkok as BKK?

rmorris22

Maybe I am just bored or I have read to many threads started by P127 :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:, but, has anyone ever contemplated about how we always refer to Bangkok using the official airport designation? :dunno:

It's like sitting in a bar in Pattaya and you ask the gentleman next to you:

Where are you from? and he responds: I am from:

LAX (Los Angelas)

or

SJO (San Jose)

or

OAK (Oakland)

or

LHR (London, England)

My personal opinion is that; it is a result of many many hours spent on the internet looking for that optimum flight... :help:

Because most of us arrive and leave by plane at BKK airport. It's a nice abbreviation and everybody understands it. :)

Moreover it's different from a personal conversation. We're talking here by e-mail, not to a person face to face.

Says pattaya127:
never hear someone say B. K. K.

On the contrary people from KUALA LUMPUR say K. L. [/quote

KL is probably more common than BKK IMo.

I think a lot of us use BKK as we travel a lot and see it on tickest and departure gates etc...or we a re lazy :neener:

Solve the mistery

BKK is the official city code used in the airline industry. KUL is used for Kuala Lumpur and SIN for Singapore. This is where these abbreviations come from. If BKK intends to operate 2 airports in the future, then we'll soon see a second abbreviation for BKK. Similar to NYC with JFK and EWR or LON with LHR, LGW and LCY etc ...

Chiangmai

Archived