OOPS in The Kitchen ..This Happen to You

Torneyboy

You Suck!

700+

You suck big time!!!!

Do have to say that when I left my bottles in NYC, the average age of my bordeaux's was 10-14 years and they tasted damned fine to me. Only a few showed signs of being on the declining end. Think storage was the key. Long time in a stable temperature and humid environment without much handling.

<<burp>>

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says gummigut:

You Suck!

700+

You suck big time!!!!

Do have to say that when I left my bottles in NYC, the average age of my bordeaux's was 10-14 years and they tasted damned fine to me. Only a few showed signs of being on the declining end. Think storage was the key. Long time in a stable temperature and humid environment without much handling.

<<burp>>

Gummi,

I beg your pardon ????? hahahahaha

Its all question of which wines and definitely a good cellar, just like mine, to controll temperature, airflow and humidity.

The secret is that differences in temperatures are allowed, as long as it is only fractions of degrees per day :)

Cheers !

Yup, know about it, which is why underground is great. Temperature does vary throughout the year but the changes per day are slight.

Guess you store all your bottles standing up, yucka yucka.

Also, we have to play that other thing by ear. Need to wait till that day comes closer to see if all the pieces can be assembled for the party.

Geez, I just love this spy talk!!!

<<burp>>

Mr GG,

Yes, indeed, temperature does vary about 5-6 degrees between summer and winter, noz we have a heatwave here, will not go on purpose into the cellar in order not to influence the temperature, but noz it is there about 16,6 C max.

As for the other one, tell me in advance, I need to put a few aces up my sleeve :)

Cheers ! :beer:

a 15 year old bottle of my sons a Penfolds 389 vintage 1964 cost him about THB 1700 aud 65

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1964? my birthday!...but with due respect, don't you think a 38 year old bottle of 389 is a little long in the tooth?...a travesty for sure though, I understand your plight...

What if some Henshke Hill of Grace helped a pasta sauce...now THAT would upset me!

Not too many wines around that'll keep well after 15 years in the bottle. Don't know the Australian ones well, but most Bordeaux are way overdue after 15 years, only good for cooking perhaps?

I have to generally agree with you when you say not too many wines, but IMO, "way overdue after 15 years" is too strong an assesment for Bordeaux...many big reds from great years taste wonderful young and then go into a shell for a long time...they only start to come out at around 10 and will peak at 20-30(I'm talking the best of Bordeaux here and Hermitage/Cote Rotie)...it's all in one's taste, fruit or terroir? :)

Says plaa:

a 15 year old bottle of my sons a Penfolds 389 vintage 1964 cost him about THB 1700 aud 65

1964? my birthday!...but with due respect, don't you think a 38 year old bottle of 389 is a little long in the tooth?...a travesty for sure though, I understand your plight...

What if some Henshke Hill of Grace helped a pasta sauce...now THAT would upset me!

No should be fine ...follows the grange into the oak barrels.

Henshke make some beautifull wines Hill is a favourite for a ""special occassion"". Not a for a **** sauce ::

Petaluma is another that comes to mind and my favorite St Henri. 68 was a great year.

Wolf blass black labels before he sold out..not the same anymore IMO.

Perhaps there are some exceptions, but Bordeaux wines are not known as wines that keep well after many (say more than 10) years.

Used to date a French girl when I was a student. Her father owned a chateaux in Saint Emillion region. From him I did learn a lot about Bordeaux wines.

Burgandy (do I spell this right) on the other hand do keep well. Exception being the Bordeaux Nuveau, which is pretty shitty but at times still tasty, but sells well due to good marketing. A 1 year old one though is good for cooking perhaps but not much else.

Maybe P127 can give us some Franch views on this

Hi Oran,

I'm sorry to disagree totally...........

Bordeaux wines are the ones that keep well, as long as you have good years and great wines of course.......... Earlier this year I drank a 1947 Baron Rothchild and a 1951 Cheval Blanc......... just try that with other wines and you have vinegar......... :(

Also in the Burgundy wines you have some great wines, but due to the different grapes and structures, they will not keep that long as great Bordeaux.

As for the Beaujolais Nouveau, that wine is only good for immediate consumption.............

I have a funny story on that wine :) and no offence to my Dutch friends :)

I was invited in a good restaurant in Groningen ( North Holland ) 10-11 years ago, restaurantowner came up with specially kept wine...... yes, you guessed...... a Beaujolais Nouveau of 5 years old......... just vinegar........ :(

Cheers !

Archived