Opportunities to learn... anything

ranma500

Here's my problem:

I'm in U.K.

GF in Thailand.

GF is ex-BG.

I come out regularly, but there are still regular six weeks periods when I am not. I would love to change this, and hope it will be possible, but not quite yet.

She wants to go to University, but hasn't studied her Mathayom. She goes to school for three hours on a Sunday to study for this, and does her homework, but this will take another year and a half.

This leaves her with an awful amount of time free. She sleeps, eats, studies, reads, plays on the computer, goes out to buy food, and that's about it. She has some contact with her old bar friends, but doesn't spend much time with them. She has new schoolfriends, but they are mostly working in the suburbs and don't have much time or money free.

She doesn't grumble, but I know she is bored. And quite apart from feeling sorry for her with little to do, 'the devil makes work for idle hands'.

There is no point my suggesting that she gets a job. Without qualifications she would earn a pittance, and why would I want her to slave away at a meaningless job which would contribute almost nothing to our economic well-being?

What I would really like to do is find short courses she could take to introduce her to new ideas and talents. She has an interest in many things from photography to creative writing, music, etc.

But I can't find anywhere she could pursue such studies. In the U.K. there are thousands of evening courses and part-time courses, but I don't know where to start looking in Bangkok - if they exist at all.

The only courses I can find are English language, University entrance crammers, and cookery.

Has anyone any ideas where she could go to explore her talents and interests, meet new friends, and possibly expand her horizons?

Thanks,

Ranma

See at Siam Language and Computer school.

siamcom.co.th

and click on "Course". There is enough in English to see what it is about. There are several locations.

Microsoft productivity tools courses go for almost 4 months. Attendance is recorded, exams and certificates. Bought altogether, 5 courses go for small money.

That Sunday HS, usually runs more courses on their premisses - accounting, typing, export-import.

With Siam language and computers and what her HS can offer in addition to 3hrs on Sundays, you can fill in a year or so with 2-4 hours a day of learning.

I'm near Phrakhanong and all those schools are within walking distance.

She needs to finish matayum 6 for uni. There has been past discussions on it so do a search for places. I know there are a few near victory monument.

If she can get M3 then she can enter a college and get a trade course etc. Might be the best option. It will take drive and some support but if her mind is set on it it would be easy

Why can't she work? even if it's part time, maybe in a photo shop. I'm sure the pay is very low but who cares she has you too take care of her. I mean at least she would have more to do than sit around all day watching Thai soap opera's and thinking about you.

Says CaptCraig:

Why can't she work? even if it's part time, maybe in a photo shop. I'm sure the pay is very low but who cares she has you too take care of her. I mean at least she would have more to do than sit around all day watching Thai soap opera's and thinking about you.

Wow more thai women day dreaming of me. I love it. Who is this girl and why does she think of me all day ;)

I think the idea was to learn and further her career. If she wants to work in a photoshop for 3500 a month forever she can. nobody is stopping her

I am interested by the idea of the community schools. I will check them out.

It strikes me that in the rural education she has had, limits were clearly imposed upon her expectations and creativity.

I would like to encourage her to explore her abilities.

These abilities needn't be career-oriented. They could just turn out to be hobbies, recreations, or interests.

Obviously, the motivation and drive has to come from her.

But I can't help feeling there is a whole world of experiences which she has yet to discover, and possibly would enjoy.

One hears arguments often that BG relationships cannot work because there is a difference in educational level.

Well, I've always argued that isn't true. Whether a girl knows calculus or not is utterly irrelevant to me. But I do think it would help if a girl knew who Picasso, Beethoven, Churchill, The Beatles, and Neil Armstrong were.

Equally, I would love to take a Thai studies course, so that I can understand some of her cultural references.

ranma

Hi,

""

These can be excellent. My wife has so far done:

- 5 courses of hairdressing

- 2 on flower making (with some kind of clay)

- 1 on making clothing

- 4 on making different kinds of food (Western, Thai, cakes/cookies)

Next term she will do yet another one on hairdressing (plan is to open up a shop) and possibly one on tradtional Thai dancing.

These schools are all over the city (have your gf ask around I bet someone in the area knows where one is), teach a huge range of courses and are practically free (course fees are something like 100 Baht a week or so, plus whatever stuff the student needs for the class).

I think next term starts in September so now would be the time to apply.

Sanuk!

>>>One hears arguments often that BG relationships cannot work because there is a difference in educational level.<<<

yeah, that argument...utter bullshit.nonsense. as if marriages with partners of a similar educational level don't get divorced.

a lot more important is the ability to adapt, to understand and accept the other's limitations, and most important, to really try to make it working (but that must come from both sides).

>>>But I do think it would help if a girl knew who Picasso, Beethoven, Churchill, The Beatles, and Neil Armstrong were.<<<

and if she doesn't it's still not the end of the world.

>>>Equally, I would love to take a Thai studies course, so that I can understand some of her cultural references.<<<

the best thai study course would be to live for a while with her in a normal thai neighborhood (not lower sukhumvit or similar farang getthos!), get that way used to the language and everyday customs.

the whole thing is just an investment of time, and it will take a long time. my opinion is that you, as the more educated and more traveled, has the responsibility to adapt first to her. only then you can help her adapting to your way of live.

my missus was not a bargirl, but her educational background is even lower than the one of most bargirls, coming from a very poor minority. we are going strong, nearly ten years together already.

[color:"red"] One hears arguments often that BG relationships cannot work because there is a difference in educational level.

Well, I've always argued that isn't true. Whether a girl knows calculus or not is utterly irrelevant to me. But I do think it would help if a girl knew who Picasso, Beethoven, Churchill, The Beatles, and Neil Armstrong were.

Equally, I would love to take a Thai studies course, so that I can understand some of her cultural references.

ranma

[/color]

Hello,

IMO, it is true that similar education level is not the prime factor in a relationship, especially at the beginning of it. However, things change as most of us do grow and sometimes the needs change. I have seen so many Thai/American relationship broke up because of education differences. As a couple American men with such experience told me "At first it was fun to teach and coach but then it was exhausting!" :(

I do know that for my relationship, Hubby has a lot patience teaching or explaining things, but I also detect the irritable and bored attitudes at times. And believe me, not many things need expalining for our education level and professional level success are similar. However, in a relationship, a good conversation and understanding is needed (besides good sex!!!!) :devil:

Mind you, IMO, some of these relationship broke up and the cultural, education level and language barriers are used as excuses. :onfire:

Jasmine :devil:

Archived