Mozilla v IE Questions after trying Mozilla

gawguy

1. Okay?.At the strong recommendations of KS and others, I have been giving Mozilla a run. I like tabbed browsing. I especially like that I can save several tabs at once as a bookmark, then open several sites with one click. Maybe I haven?t found some features or settings, or maybe IE is so much bigger codewise. At any rate I have some issues?

2. When I click to start M the dial up networking box starts, but does not come up on the screen ? it stays minimized. With IE it comes up and I just press enter to dial. I try not to use the mouse when I don?t have to.

3. In IE when I press Ctrl-N I get a new browser window, the same one that I am looking at. This is what I want. E.g. I have searched for Mozilla in the Tech formum and all hits are listed. I want to Ctrl-N to have a copy of the list so I can navigate off of it and I want to keep the list in a second window. But with M everything New comes up to the homepage. Then I have to navigate back to that link with the list. More mousing.

4. I wish there was a way that Ctrl-N would open a new Tab without using the mouse.

5. With IE I can do a lot of favorites/bookmark management out of the drop downlist ? delete or rearrange. With M I have to go to Manage Bookmarks.

Says gawguy:

3. In IE when I press Ctrl-N I get a new browser window, the same one that I am looking at. This is what I want. E.g. I have searched for Mozilla in the Tech formum and all hits are listed. I want to Ctrl-N to have a copy of the list so I can navigate off of it and I want to keep the list in a second window. But with M everything New comes up to the homepage. Then I have to navigate back to that link with the list. More mousing.

I just have to take on this one. First of all, what a paragraph! The whole room is revolving, that's how confused I am! :)

Anyhow, I think I get your drift (!?) -- Why don't you just right-click the links and choose "open in new tab/window". Then you'll still have the search page intact while browsing the links? Or am I missing something here?

3. In IE when I press Ctrl-N I get a new browser window, the same one that I am looking at. This is what I want.

I actually find what you want to be pretty annoying IE behaviour. I don't need two browsers that display the exact same thing. Typing [CTR]N on Moz get you a new window that is blank or with your home page. Right click on a link and you can open it in a new tab or a new window.

4.I wish there was a way that Ctrl-N would open a new Tab without using the mouse.

Did you try [CTRL] T ? That works on the Mac and Linux versions

I can apreciate the fact that you want to reduce mouse traffic but the web is pretty much a GUI typ of place. Have you ever tried Lynx ?

Says Straycat:

Says gawguy:

I just have to take on this one. First of all, what a paragraph! The whole room is revolving, that's how confused I am!
:)

Sorry...it is difficult to write descriptions of computer problems sometimes. Helps if the reader knows what the writer wants to say. ::

ANYWAY, could you guys give me a little summary. Apart from Tabbed Browsing and built in popup blocking (and that it's not a MS product) what are the general advantages of Mozilla over IE??

What are the disadvantages? What ad on programs don't work with it, e.g. Popup Cop?

GG

Says gawguy:

ANYWAY, could you guys give me a little summary. Apart from Tabbed Browsing and built in popup blocking (and that it's not a MS product) what are the general advantages of Mozilla over IE??

Personally, I use the Mozilla Firebird (it's probably about the same as Mozilla minus email and newsreader -- which I don't use anyway). Here's the why:

Why You Should Switch to the Mozilla Firebird browser

Honestly, I really do think it's a much better browser than IE or any other browser plug-in, like MyIE, that gives you tabbed browsing. It's quicker, there's less annoyance, there's quick access to Google (a feature that I use a lot; just typing in key words in the address bar).

Disadvantages? None, as far as I'm concerned. But, I'm a minimalist. I've never been a fan of plug-ins that "enhance" the browser....

If anything, Mozila makes a great smut browser! :up::grinyes:

Pop up control makes sure you won't get flooded with pop ups if you visit some doggy (oops! I mean dodgy) sites. Because Mozilla doesn't feature ActiveX (unless you download it as a plugin), the risk that that your home page gets hijacked by yapyapyap.com or one of its competitors is way down. Also chances of dialers getting installed on your system goes down.

Other advantages are that your smut sessions do not soil your address bar in IE. :D

Cheers,

soongmak

When I click to start M the dial up networking box starts, but does not come up on the screen

Yes, I can see that this would be irritating (albeit not a major practical issue). FYI, what it seems is happening is that Mozilla draws itself on top of the Dial-up Networking Window. I doubt if you will be able to do anything about this.

open a new Tab without using the mouse.

As others have mentioned, Ctrl-T fits the bill here (it opens an empty tab rather than a copy of the existing one).

Some related capabilities that may be of interest: when using a link on a page to navigate, if you hold down the Ctrl key while clicking, it opens the new page in a new tab; if the cursor is on the link, then Ctrl-Enter does the same trick. After opening a new tab, if you want to open a page you have already visited, use Ctrl-H (to open the history page) and click the page link you want.

With IE I can do a lot of favorites/bookmark management out of the drop downlist ? delete or rearrange. With M I have to go to Manage Bookmarks

Quite true: however, you can open the Manage Bookmarks with Ctrl-B and, in my experience, achieve the required actions in the same number (or fewer) clicks.

I actually still use Opera for most of my general browsing (Mozilla is better when doing development because it has great debugging facilities). Mozilla may well overtake Opera as my general favourite within the next year or so. It is very good. IE is not on my list of the top six browsers.

Thank you! Very interesting one and all. I especially like the detailed help from Brit Tim.

I wish KS would weigh in here please. You were the main advocate I listened to before I installed M.

At this point I see that M is slightly slower in allowing me to do what I want, that is, more mouse clicks required, although some can be reduced as responders pointed out.

The big advantage that I see is that (I'm speculating a bit here) because IE is the most commonly used program, it is a big target for hackers and hijackers and dialer lowlifes. Therefore all kinds of s**t happens when using IE that hopefully will not happen when using M or other "little" browsers.

GG

Archived