Driving

AF16

Have a few questions about driving and drivers license in Thailand.

1. Can you drive in Thailand with an ordinary Norwegian driver license?

2. How much does it cost to rent a van in Thailand (for weekend)

3. How are the roads from Bkk to Korat (outside of town), and from Korat to Srisaket.

4. How much does it cost for a driver license in Thailand (internationally recognized)?

5. Will I survive a trip through Bkk traffic :D

1. Yes. You can drive without any license at all actually. Just stuff your pockets with 100 B bills ;) (on a serious note, officially you're required to carry an "International Drivers Licence". I show my Scandinavian drivers license. 9 out of 10 - no problems)

2. Check w/ Budget, Hertz et al on the 'Net. Add ".co.th" (without quotes) to the company name. Local rental companies will be cheaper.

3. Roads are *generally* quite good in Thailand.

4. You need a non-immigrant Visa for a local drivers license. It's not much; 100+ baht.

5. No :) ...uhm...yes, you will. It's snail speed most of the time anyway. You'll find however that'll be a bitch to find your way in and out of the city -- but it'll be a learning experience...

Thanks Straycat ? hard to find the way ? I have the worst sense of direction ever :)

I can not even find my way to my friends? house in Oslo, and I have visited him for three years.

Clarification on nr. 4. If a Thai person wants to take a driver license that is not only recognized in Thailand but in Europe to, how much would it set her back?

agree with straycat.

in addition to 3: road to sisaket is good. highway from Bangkok via Saraburi to Korat and afterwards a mainroad through Buriram - Surin; would not recommend to drive the Korat - Sisaket part during night (vehicles without light, trucks/buses with drivers on Yaba)

Regarding European validity: I don't know. Surely, it depends on if a Thai license is a recognized document in Europe (I would guess it is in many countries despite the fact that Thais really cannot drive :eek:).

There is probably some organisations/government agency here that issue "International Drivers License" for Thais as well. Since Thailand require such from us I'd guess on reciprocal requirements from other countries. However, I don't have the faintest idea what a Thai "International Driving License" would cost...

Good point there from samak also. Always be very careful when driving by night in Thailand. Expect the unexpected at all times. :banghead:

>1. Yes. You can drive without any license at all actually. Just stuff your pockets with 100 B bills

Tend to agree. I have never had the International Driving Permit in Thai. Got pulled out once, the policeman asked for my ID.

Gave him my passport, he was happy. Not my Oz driving licence.

However, my offence was "not returning to the middle lane immediatelly after overtaking", on a 3-lanes (each way) highway.

My gf just said (not whispered): "Give him 200 Baht". All clear after that.No receipt.

Rent a car staff do ask for it, if you don't have one (the International), they just say "If you get pulled out, you will have to talk to them".

That closes the loop of "be stuffed with 100 Bht notes".

Not that you will need many, probably none.

One more thing: small (family operated 10-15 cars rent-a-car shops, 50% cheaper than Avis, advertised in BKK Post and elsewhere) may ask you if you had had any driving experience in LOS.

Last time, they were quizzing me so badly, I thought no car will be rented to me. But they did...when I returned the vehicle, they changed the tune: oferred a free ride to wherever I wanted to go, asked if I could ring them first when I need a car next time...

Archived