Teaching English

NokTang

Do you know anything about these "guys" who move to Thailand thinking they can teach english and maintain a lifestyle of barfineing girls?

This a serious inquiry, I need HELP telling a friend he is full of crap and it don't work that way fella...

The math is odd, call it 40000.baht "earnings" and call it 1500baht a day for a girl and barfine. Then add drinks and transportation and some light "food", you are at 2000baht a day...times 30 = 60,000. baht ? Then you need a place to live/stay, at least 10000baht.

Anyone reading this board has no business thinking he can maintain the lifestyle of GoGo bars on 40,000.baht. I've explained it mathmatically, my friend refuses to compute it.

He thinks he can stop going to GoGo bars, pick up freelancers for 500baht? 15000baht for that, plus 10,000baht apartment? Do guys actually do this?

Someone give me the better way to explain it please?

Thank you in advance,

Nok

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would make the following suggestion, bet with him:

Buy a return ticket to LOS.

Only take 40,000 baht.

See how long, and how well, you can live.

My guess. 10days - 2 weeks, If he really gets into the life style, maybe 3 weeks.

If he makes it the whole month, then he has a hope. Of course unless he is a very experienced teacher, and preferably with LOS experience, I think 40K a month is a bit high to start. 30K is more like it.

Hope he takes the challenge. :grinyes:

if your friend's main motivation is coming here for the girls, and teaching just as a means to support that lifestyle, he is in for a rough time.

if he does not have a degree he will most definately not get a workpermit and has to stay on a tourist visa (which people in that situation often stop renewing after some time). and there are signs that the tourist visa regulations are to be changed soon so that people cannot stay for years anymore - just six months a year like in india.

expectations of 40 000 baht earnings are on the high side if he has no degree or experience, 20 K would be more realistic until he learns the ropes.

he would then have to start off at some shite school like siam computer who picks up everyone who knows how to wear a tie and has to spend ours every day in the traffic travelling to the students.

if he lives the lifestyle, he will have very little chance to get any jobs in better schools. he will live from week to week, payday - spend it in the next three days - eat rice and something until the next payday. he will forever be a complete alien and outsider here, his only companions are outsiders in similarly hopeless situations.

the longer he stays out of his learned profession the less the chances to ever be able to re-enter normal life if he would wish so one day. chances are that he will waste his life like so many others i have known doing that. very few of the ones i know who started off that way have found some opportunities later on and are stuck in that forever. many others have started taking the easy way and are in prison now, or deported from thailand.

problem is, that some people are simply not willing to listen to any well meant advice, they have to make their own experiences. generally i meet them nowadays when they have reached the end of the road, buried in a mountain of problems impossible to solve.

Hi Nooky,

Could be easy: First, follow the brain, don't follow the dick.

The maths:

Income:

- Most probably THB 30000

Spendings:

- room: ............................10,000

- eat: .................................6,000

- medical care: ...................1,000

- visa run: ..........................1,000

- clothes: ...........................3,000

- ticket home (1 x p.a.): ......3,000

- booze: ............................ 6,000

- girls (THB 500 per night): .15,000

- Others: ............................3,000

Sum: ................................48,000

In this, there is no insurance and pension included. Most likely, THB 60,000 is needed at least per month for a decent life style in LOS.

With that attitude he will get a crappy job with crappy pay. I guess about 250 baht per hour at a language sweat shop. You need a degree to get a decent teaching job here, or some good and relevent experience.

Anyway after living here for a while he will get bored of the bargirls. Yes you can pick up freelancers at 2AM for 500 baht, but they really are the bottom of the barrel.

One guy I know also told me the same thing, I said to him that if the bargirls were the only reason why he wanted to live here then he should not come to live and work here.

For me the bar scene tired very quickly and I only ever go when friends come to visit. It's much better and easier to get normal girls, it's more fun, and it's cheaper

The bar scene is what it is, cheap thrills.. If you enjoy getting pissed ( maybe have a drink problem ) and enjoy sex there is no reason to get bored... When people say that they are bored of the bar scene and have settled down with a good thai girl who doesnt drink or smoke I think they are selling themselves short. (IMHO that is tedium personified)

Additionally they are proving right the critics who say that sanukers cant get a steady girlfriend in the west, people who settle down with good thai girls and shun or openly criticise the bar scene and or bar girls are lying to themselves and revealing their own self loathing.

This is a general comment not at you Haltest, please dont go over to the darkside though of smug self satisfied hypocrites.

STH :hubba:

There are some people who learn best by doing. It is unlikely to kill him to try and he will have a memorable experience, though it might not be a very long experience.

Bt the the wasy, Peter1964's tabulation of expenses looks like a pretty good basis for anyone contemplating moving to Bangkok.

As a matter of fact, I'll show this to my wife, with whom I am currently having budget discussions.

Back to the point, your firend might find this an exciting experience and might even find a way to make it work. Just urge him not to burn any bridges and keep that return ticket for a visit home if nothing else.

RickF.

Guest lazyphil

<<Additionally they are proving right the critics who say that sanukers cant get a steady girlfriend in the west, people who settle down with good thai girls and shun or openly criticise the bar scene and or bar girls are lying to themselves and revealing their own self loathing.>>

I find marrying a bg and myself being an ex sanuker,with other bg's anyway, sanuk never ends, just the other night we're down our local boozer doing what we did in Patong, getting pissed playing pool (not a ladette though :up:) we can laugh and joke about all sorts of stuff from our meet up in Patong beach. No skeletons hinding away or lies to cover up. We both know we've got 'history' in the scene, do we give a shit?...naw!

Archived