American Pool/Billiards is a mans game

SUZIBANDIT

OK. Firstly, and most importantly *you ain't in Kanas now*...".

Whining about this is not how its done in US is gonna get you nowhere. Fast.

Secondly, in my experince *every* bar has its own house rules, which are different in different bars. Even two bars owned by the same guy can have two different set of rules. Learn the rule of the house, and play by those.

Thirdly, if you *really* can't adjust to all those different rules, use the other option. Find a bar that will let you rent the table by the hour (Brunswick for example) and go with a friend who agree's what rules you play by.

Brunswick has a huge sign, fully detailing the house rules. However, as I recall, they play ball in hand as opposed to "two shots" for a foul. Go figure.

Generally, (back to point 1), if you do not or cannot adapt to the local conditions (especially on something as basically trivial as a game of pool) you are gonna find it *really* hard work here...

-j-

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rules at Gulliver's are actually posted so if you have any troubles, just tell your opponent to go read.

"I still can't work out why,, in Hong Kong, you have to hit at least one rail/cushion if you fail to make a pot!"

This is where pool diverges from snooker. Pool doesn't have such long tables. It takes little skill to park the white ball hidden behind one of your balls if you do not have to touch a rail after contact. Additionally, the way "Americans" play pool is generally on a foul, the person gets one shot, but ball in hand ANYWHERE on the table. So the penalty is pretty severe. when playing against good people (as you won't get another shot). In most cases, to snooker someone in pool with the rule that a ball has to hit a rail after contact takes some skill as you have to predict the path of the white ball and the contact ball.

<<burp>>

Yet another pool venue will be opening soon on Lower Sukhumvit.

Megabreak (the same people who recently put on 500,000 baht tournament in Bangkok) will be opening soon at formerly Paradise (near Rajah Hotel) on Soi 4. They promise to have 8 nine-foot tables and 4 eight-foot tables.

I expect the venue to be in same class as Brunswick, at least.

Megabreak

Also very nearby, Hillary Bar recently built an air-conditioned enclosure (formerly open air tables) and put three more tables in. The bar is actually pretty nice place to hang out now!

I'm not exactly whining.

I understand people here play by different rules, I was just observing tht they are different rules and that I find them to make the game less skillful than the game you willl find played in the majority of establishments in the States.

I wasn't saying that I expect everyone to play by the same rules, just wanted to know what the most coommon ones were, and if there is any place where "official" rules of competitioin are played.

Oh and trust me, it will take more than the inane rules of pool to get me running scared from Thailand.

But thanks to those who did give a description of what the most common rules here are.

:beer:

coming from the 2 shots carried rules of the uk to ball in hand which is played in Manila( some great players from there who gave me some serious whoop ass ) was really strange at first. still, after a few sessions i got that hang of it and definately prefer the ball in hand rule and 90% of the rules that go with the same game. unfortunatelty , thailand seems to play a mixed version of the 2 which does change from venue to venue.

brunswick is the only place i know where u will probably feel at home , but another good table which no one has mentioned is in woodstocks ( house rules on wall - 2 shots ). at the end of the day its just a game , if you are looking for a good session then book the table by the hour(200 bt per hour) in brunswick and play any rules you like - just agree on them before you start. when finished try a game of killer - great nights entertainment with the option of walking out with a few extra bt in your pocket - be careful , few girls in there can sure shoot killer pool . after hours everyone used to head to paradise (soi 4) to continue , but police seemed to be raiding there earlier in the year so im not sure if that still goes on.

failing that , i will be back from up north around Feb and i can give you a game - your rules.

Lets just make this definition here:

An "american" table is for playing 9 ball and a proper pool table, with green cloth and tight pockets (relative) is for 8 ball.

World League rules apply to 9 ball and 8 ball but these have been bastardised by various countries, geographical areas and even individual bars.

Unforgiveably, Thailand now has 8 ball played on 9 ball tables and even on baby sized snooker tables. All that is shit.

The other crapper is that the yanks think that their version of pool and their table with the buckets instead of pockets is somehow harder. Bollocks, you don't see many 9 ball players lining up in Sheffield to whoop the arse of the snooker players, unlike the other way round.

Its a pity they can't sort it out, but then most places charge you over the top whilst providing shit tables, crap equipment and an uneven playing surface, often with piss stains and divots.

Huh? What?

9-Ball and 8-Ball are played professionally on different sized pockets and tables? Where does a Brunswick Centurian fit in? 8-ball or 9-ball? I won't even ask about straight pool. If what you say is valid about the tables, can you cite me a source?

The smaller tables are just simply called bar tables.

"The other crapper is that the yanks think that their version of pool and their table with the buckets instead of pockets is somehow harder. Bollocks, you don't see many 9 ball players lining up in Sheffield to whoop the arse of the snooker players, unlike the other way round."

The crapper is you think that about yanks. It's a different game. Snooker to me is pretty damn hard as well. And no, you won't see 9-ball players lining up to play snooker. Simple reason for that. Money. Why are all the snooker players lining up to play Pool?

<<burp>>

Megabreaks opened last week.

Same location as former Classics Movie Lounge, and before that, Paradise Disco.

I was in there last Friday night, 12 tables - brand new. Not much else up there - just some bench-type seats along the wall. Service bar, quite a few attendants.

Nothing remarkable. I did not see any house rules posted.

'Looked like a good place to play some serious pool.

Be alret. Bangkok needs more lerts.

StoneSoup

Archived