49000 minimum??

Bakkabon

Iwas just told that the minimum wage for a farang with a work permit and all the corect papers was now 49 000baht per month previouslyit was 40000 but it has now gone up apparently this happend 3 months ago, anyone know if this is correct ???? I did ask a thai laywer about this but he didnt know if it had gone up or not ! but he did say that 40 000 was what it was previously .

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

750Lbs or 1,180 U.S. $. Thailand has enough of its own population to provide for. Thailand is not the same old 3rd world country it was 20 years ago. 49,000 baht would be alot to a thai but little to a westerner. I would say that amount would be very little if any at all benefit for them to let you reside in their country. Just because things are cheap in Thailand does not mean that they want cheap foreigners to reside with them.

I often read comments by apparently mentally deficient (falang?) posters who comment that this amount or that amount are nothing to Thailand and that cheap charlies should go home etc. The fact is that 49,000 baht is about 8 times the average monthly Thai salary. So, provided that this money is spent, it would support about 8 Thai people. Is that nothing? No, not to me. The average long stay falang probably only averages about 40-50,000 baht, but this is a significant amount of money and goes to effectively provide jobs for a disproportionate number of Thai's. Compared to the average short stay tourist who spend more per day but only a very small amount per year, most long stay tourists, provided they bahave themselves and do not insult Thai culture, should be highly valued and welcomed by Thailand and not accused of being 'cheap' because they don't spend the same as somebody on a 2 week package tour who has to rush back home to his low paying, probably menial job. I somehow suspect that the posters who suggest that if you don't spend 200,000 baht a month then you are a low life parasite, are in fact likely to be low life parasites, living in a fantasy world, getting their little kicks from mouthing off on message boards where you can't get your arse kicked.

Minimum wages for foreigners hiked

Companies have until July 10 next year to increase the wages of foreign employees to new minimum rates, Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office, told the Gazette yesterday.

The new minimum monthly wage rates, which vary according to nationality, will be:

? Japanese, Americans and Canadians: 60,000 baht (currently 40,000 baht).

? Europeans and Australians: 50,000 baht (35,000 baht).

? South Koreans, Taiwanese, Singaporeans and Hongkongers: 45,000 baht (35,000 baht).

? Malaysians: 45,000 baht (30,000 baht).

? Indians and people from the Middle East: 35,000 baht (30,000 baht).

? Mainland Chinese, Indonesians and Filipinos: 35,000 baht (25,000 baht).

? Burmese, Laotians, Vietnamese, Cambodians and Africans: 25,000 baht (20,000 baht).

? Journalists working for newspapers: 20,000 baht (12,000 baht). Wages of journalists working for magazines and other media are categorized by nationalities.

Capt Krissarat said, ?If companies don?t [increase their foreign workers? wages] because they don?t want to pay their employees more money, they will have problems when they pay tax and when renewing their employees? visas or work permits.?

Source: Phuket Gazette

This is the bit I like:

>Capt Krissarat said, ?If companies don?t [increase their foreign workers? wages] because they don?t want to pay their employees more money, they will have problems when they pay tax and when renewing their employees? visas or work permits.?

It won't be the damn *company* thats in trouble come tax time, it will be the *person*. Viz, hey, You're from XYZ country, you *must* pay this amount of tax.

I for one am getting *increasingly* frustrated here, what with the visa/ work permit increases plus the way this is heading. Several near screaming matches with my boss (who *really* does not give a shit).

Time to go? Very nearly, and probably very soon. And I *do* have skills that are *desperately* needed by Thailand. Who loses? Not me when I get totally pissed off here and go elsewhere and add a zero on the end of my salary cheque....

-j-

Archived