Looking for a farang-friendly bank w/inet banking

rickfarang

Hey guys, this might have already been asked, but answer might be updated now. Is there anyway you can open up a bank account in thailand without actually being there at the time. Ie bank over here maybe helping to arrange it. Just thought it would be a good way of taking advantage of exchange rates, as our dollar fluctuates. Im thinking not, as you probably need to be in person, but i thought it might be possible as i know national over here was going to buy a big stake in one of the banks over their. I think it was Bangkok Bank not sure, anyway love some help on the matter, There must be some creative way

I opened an account at Bank of Asia and at the same time signed up for their ASIA CyberB@nking and M-Banking services.

It took a week to get the USER ID (by email) and the PASSWORD (by registered mail).

I took a quick look at the site, and overall first impressions are mixed. My opinion for local on-line banking systems remains with Bangkok Bank as the best, followed closely by Siam Commercial Bank. Kasikorn (TFB) Thai edition was difficult for me to use, I will apply for the English language version and see if it is any better. Krung Thai's on-line banking is completely worthless. Haven't looked at it in a long time to see if they have updated.

ASIA CyberB@nking.

Account Summary

Funds Transfer

Bill Payments

Letter of Guarantee (not active on mine)

Asia M Banking

Global Funds Transfer

Cash Management (not active on mine)

Import/Export (not active on mine)

Other Services

The nicest feature is the ability to pay money to a pre-paid phone like One-2-Call or D-Prompt. Unfortunately, the site seems to have underlying problems, as I get errors every time that I try to transfer money to a phone number. If it works then this would be interesting as the other services don't have the ability (yet) to put money into a pre-paid phone.

Cheers!

get errors every time that I try to transfer money to a phone number
Maybe you need to register the phone numbers with the bank before that option will work properly?? Could be that for security reasons, like someone gaining access to your online account because you fail to log off, the bank wants you to apply in advance for any other account you plan to transfer funds to. I had a similar experience with Siam Commercial.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the Kasikorn internet banking set up.

KBank e-Internet

The site is in English :up: and is very modern looking.

The pages include:

Main (Home) Page

Account Summary

Account Details

Credit Card

Fund Transfer (own account, 3rd party, inter bank)

Bill Payment

Cheque Service

Other Service

My Profile (change personal info)

I only have one account with the bank, so most of the options regarding transfers don't have any meaning. Two things that look interesting are the inter bank transfer, and the bill payment for pre-paid mobile phones (One2Call, Dprompt).

I believe that you will need to go to the bank to set up the 3rd party and inter bank transfers. Also, :( I don't have enough baht in the account to test the bill payment for mobile phone yet.

Much better than the old TFB e-banking, and I would put it up on the same level with SCB but not quite to the level of BBL.

Cheers!

PM,

Funny you posted today as my GF set it up today as well, needed to go personally to the bank first to get accesscode and password per e-mail, but its working.

She also prefers the english version as more clear than Thai...... go figure.

Still need to go there in person to sign in person to get payments done from my own account.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers !

Archived