Looking for a farang-friendly bank w/inet banking

rickfarang

Can anyone where recomend, from first hand experience, a farang-friendly bank that has decent intenet banking?

-I don't have a residence permit, as I stay on tourist visas.

- The ability to check balances and transfer between accounts is what I am looking for in internet banking.

-If they pay decent interest rates, that would be good too. Not that I'm asking for much :0

Thank you.

RickF

I use a couple of accounts at the Bank of Asia for about 5 years now. Opened them without any visa or so, when I was here on a 3 day business trip. Live here since 3 years now and use the accounts on a daily base. But... rules about what accounts foreigners are allowed to open change frequently. As far as I know, FCD deposits are still available at most banks, but to open a THB account you need a little more luck.

And yes, BoA offers internet (and mobile) banking, to check your accounts and transfer money between your accounts. It's still not possible to send money to accounts at other banks, mainly due to the limitations of the Thai interbanking system. But it is possible to pay an number of bills, so you might save yourself (or your maid) a trip to the post office.

And as in many places, also at the bank it's a privilege to be a foreigner. I never have to wait in line, but just walk into the cubicle of one of the account managers for fast 'n' easy service.

I can tell you that Bangkok Bank (main office) will not let you use their Internet Banking without a work permit, even if you have an existing account. I tried back in May-03 to get the Internet Banking on a joint account with my wife, opened when I had a work permit, and the answer was a flat no. They said my wife would have to open an account with her name only on it in order to do so. :cussing:

TH

Siam Commercial Bank is another option. They offer internet banking, transfer to third party accounts (other SCB accounts) pay bills and so on.

Had a similar experience as TH with Bangkok Bank but at a different branch.

Rick,

You could try the Kasikorn Bank ( Thai farmers bank ) .........

I opened my account there on Suk Soi 3 with only my passport and nothing else, their website has an English version, never checked if I could do payments though, I let my GF in BKK do that for me.......

Be carefull thought..... last week we went to their branch in Tesco on Rama 4 to open a joint account, manager was rude and shouted I needed a workpermit....... I told him he was lazy and did not know his work, so went back to soi 3 branch and opened one in 15 minutes :)

Now I have an account, she has one, and we have a joint one........ she also does all payments / transfers through ATM machines.

Hope this helps.

Cheers !

Archived