Proposed Immigration rules for July 2004

rickfarang

Well one thing for sure thailand is tired of being the farang peace corp of asia.

Agree, I am amazed at the numbers of farngs I have know here that have stayed, many for 5+ even 10+ years with absolutely nothing. :dunno: ::

Even has a nephew come over last year and although I had some good talks with him, he procedded to take an illegal teaching job at 8K baht a month :banghead: :banghead:

Fortunately for him (and for me, not having to explain to my brother that his baby is in prison) he has gone home now.

Wonder how long before the crackdown starts to extent to the employers that offer these positions.?

You are correct........ many losers at home think they are winners in LOS. Time will sort them out....again. :cover:

:bow:

PS

So should of we used a little common sense when we are paying 5 to 10 times as much on dowlries that we were anything more than a walking wallet ( wouldn't a normally family just be happy with the joy of their daughters may have a chance to prosperous be enough). Hell someone trying to marry someone in my family back home that makes 10 times the norm I am packing their shit and not letting them back in the house and thats without me receiving one satang, let alone me take a bribe (dowlry) from them.

Do I detect remnants of a not so happy relationship here ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LaoH

When people start getting wives and children effected because of poorly planned life long decisions they have to be man enough to get to a solution not just a patch on a tire.

Just read a post from a guy 40 years old wanting to move to thailand on $1000 U.S. and retire early. This may be enough today but what about in 5 years or 10. Anyways these people trying to put another patch on the old wore out tire need to look at things in a different way and maybe get a tire with some tread.

It is their life but when their children are older and make the same mistakes or these same people are trying to push their children off to their home countries to be paid for by the rest of us hard working people who stuck it out and will have our benefits cut. Who is going to give us back our years we stuck it out and the cut benefits.

These same people will not pay any taxes for years but when it is time for their children to benefit from our schools and social programs they will be the first ones in line getting the free hand outs. Hell there will not be anything in Thailand for us to enjoy because of the abuses of these same people, then their going to screw up our home countries to boot (with their birth rites).

I do not think of things in this nature as today, tomorrow and the next day (thai way). We have to be thinking of next year, 5 and 10 years out. I would not even think of going to a foreign country without some back up funds at home in case of emergencies.

To think some of these people are raising families are pretty scarey huh. I just pray they are not teaching some of these ethics to children in school in Thailand. Maybe Thailand has a right to set the laws to afford what successful people from our countries would be considered.

I do not think because a person decides he wants to live in thailand and start a family be a reason for him to qualify for long term residency. TYour damn right that I am going to put a foot in these peoples backside and tell them they need to be more responsible they are causing all of us problems.

Like it or not we all have an interest in these new laws or them just enforcing what always has existed. These are the same type of people that fake injuries or whatever else they can do to get the easy way out of responsibilties.

All of us should just quit work and head to thailand and live the easy life. Be responsible people don't dump on the rest of us we have enough to cope also.

Nope no dowlry on mine. I got retread, used one, or experienced, how every you want to put it. They (ex family) still ask me for money any time they see me which is about every 3 years or so. I did buy them a tractor and fix up their house a bit but that was not that much. At least not as much as the house for my own parents cost me or the one for my child back home but it is only money for a good cause and it is all me now.

Interesting viewpoint. Just not mine.

:bow:

Only trouble I find is with all that serious planning, just because it's supposed to work out that way, virtually guarantees it won't. While it is fine to view the horizon, constant focus that is most important often results in failure to be here and now and notice the engine fore beneath your feet. Or....opps that damn bus drove off the street and got me again.

So what about 5 years or ten years from now. None of we mortals really know. I will take a resourceful person with little in hand anyday over the one who arrives 'set for life'. May just be the company I keep, but the latter group I know have been the least successful in adapting, enjoying an expat life. Here and elsewhere.

It is their life but when their children are older and make the same mistakes or these same people are trying to push their children off to their home countries to be paid for by the rest of us hard working people who stuck it out and will have our benefits cut.

Well if it is their life, why bring their older children into the equation. :dunno: ::

Working hard and long is not the same as working smart. Otherwise the rice farmers would have it all. :grinyes:

Did we miss a promotion here? If your work life is too hard or too long or too unenjoyable, I suggest you re-evaluate your own priorities, not other peoples. Many people can and do have lives they enjoy, and most of them are not nearly as financially secure as you seem to indicate is necessary.

These same people will not pay any taxes for years but when it is time for their children to benefit from our schools and social programs they will be the first ones in line getting the free hand outs. Hell there will not be anything in Thailand for us to enjoy because of the abuses of these same people, then their going to screw up our home countries to boot (with their birth rites).

Not sure who "these same people" are. But I'm sure you have a clear defination in your mind. Such narrow viewpoints, verging on bigotry completely escape my logic when they come from an otherwise intelligent sounding person. "our schools" ...thought they were for everyone.....especially those in need.

"then their going to screw up our home countries to boot (with their birth rites).

I presume that these are typos. their (they're ) and birth rites (birth rates).

Well not only incorrect data but pretty 'John Birch' attitude. No wonder the the rest of the world is a fault for your view that " Hell there will not be anything in Thailand for us to enjoy "

Well some of us will still enjoy it. :grinyes:

TYour damn right that I am going to put a foot in these peoples backside and tell them they need to be more responsible they are causing all of us problems

They don't bother me. I have my own life to look after, just as they do. Sure we won't all do it the same. :rolleyes:

Sorry but I read nothing that would equate to more than talking in circles.

Do not do any planning you might get hit by a buss anyway.

What to heck are you saying

You would rather not be around those that were resourceful

and successful but you prefer those that will be resourceful and fail.

I guess everyone needs a loser to look down on.

Same as above (rice farmer)

Continue to get hit by the buss instead of getting on it after a few times you would think they have learned.

Bigotry

Birth rites/rights nothing to do with rates.

Yes I agree too, I hate those that are successful and they are all my problems, but who gives a shit because I will get what they worked for in the end, after chosing to be a failure for so many years and enjoying thailand while being so.

John Birch, a friend of yours I am not sure I ever heard of him before. Is he one of those people that done the same thing over and over for 20 years but it was because it was everyone else fault.

They will not bother me either. I set a Baht goal and passed it, so now I am putting a bigger cushion by adding a few more years ( I'll watch for the buss also).The changes seem to have many in an uproar. As I said in an earlier post do not forget to use the for sale section before they leave I may be buying.

If supply and demand works as normal we may be looking at a real reduction in Bf's and bar prices. I will have my cake and eat it to.

As the movie said he looked diversity in the eye and beat it back with a broom. It's not the easy way but honorable ( don't worry about the buss thats a bunch of bull). We are all going to die but probably it will not be today or tomorrow. That's a safe bet also.

Some of these people that really do care for their families need just enough negative and they may just look at all availible options before they make the crucial decision of is it better for their family to stay with or go. It does not get easier as more time (busses) pass. Do you think these people back home are going to be any kinder with another failure out of thailand. I forget how many show up at the airport each day without a satang but it was very high.

Devils advocate

I set a Baht goal and passed it, so now I am putting a bigger cushion by adding a few more years

[color:"blue"] That's just great, but you might want to keep in mind that you can't take it with you when you "check out" from planet earth. I'm sure John Ritter had plenty of money, but it's not doing him any good now.[/color]

We are all going to die but probably it will not be today or tomorrow. That's a safe bet also.

[color:"blue"]Well, each to his own, but I for one don't know whether it will be today, tomorrow, next week, next year, or 30 years from now. I'm trying to live so that if it turns out to be tonight, I won't have too many regrets.[/color]

well i agree that would work for some but it is not so bad if you had some to leave for a child or 2 and a wife. Maybe even

a current visa if you will have your remains sent back home, not sure they would be concerned you would not be much good at IDC. I am not so selfish that I would worry about that I left to much behind. I would rather have enough to leave some behind than not enough to get there without putting the burden on someone else. Then again since when did we start worring about anything other than our own self and being able to help ones self stay in Thailand. I am also sure John Ritter was not to worried about what he would have spent before he was gone rather than would it be enough for who he cared about being left behind.. OOP's we should not care about someone else and anything other than Sanuk in Thailand. I keep a bic lighter in my pocket to hell with the rest of you. Light em up, or how do they say that, do you samoke.

Should we take a V before departure or does this happen in auto mode on departure. Party on.

it is not so bad if you had some to leave for a child or 2 and a wife.
I, unfortunately, don't have to worry about that at the moment (no children and soon to be ex-wife in farangland has more money than me), but if (hopefully when) I find myself in that situation, I'm fairly certain I'll be leaving my future family in better shape than they were in before I came into the picture.

I have been in the same situation before left raising a couple children on my own for several years. I do not mind leaving something behind for them. Since my last divorce I

made up my mind not to tie myself down with property and the money instead being used on some safe bonds and investments that pay dividens so I will never have to touch my principal amount ( I hope). I will have enough interest to go anywhere at anytime no matter what visa or law requirements are.

The ex wife got herself fired from where I was working after I got her a job doing just a few hours cleaning 5 days a week she was getting more than what the visa requirements are for a western in thailand. They also asked me to resign because of her behavour (long story).

I had 2 weeks to sell everything 2 cars a truck and camper and a house full of new funiture. I split everything 50/50 with her and set myself up working somewhere else in another country. There was not much left after making travel arrangements and stuff.

Broke again, almost 20 years wasted.

Right then and there I made my mind to forget about making everyone else happy and take care of my work and everything else will fall in place. It has been a long 10 years but damn if it did not work out so far.

Looking back opting out of the second marriage (her family convinced me of that) and sticking it out in these shitholes where I could save in one year what I would in a nice place in 3 or 4 years ( I have worked in some very nice places making good money also but most of it went to helping others). In a couple years of roughing it out you make some prudent investments and in a few years you are making the same almost off safe investments as you are working. Do this for some more years to reach your minimum goal and then a 20% cushion. If the work is ok and after this long you have passed the burnout stage of being in a shithole you stay a bit longer, its the norm now.

Soon it will be saipan, bali, thailand, north and south america and europe. May even pick up a little side kick to travel with me. Thank Bhuda when things went bad I recovered with a new plan and options to them. Some times it just takes drastic things to happen. (lived in hotels for years also)

Helped the parents to their golden years got the kids out on their own and paid my taxes. I guess these several years of lock down made me stay on track and out of another failure but maybe thats what it takes for some of us.

Done this, and put the better of others ahead of my own wants most of the time. So my cynosium is alot to do about knocking some of the dust off some of these people and let them know we all have been through the bad times and sometimes it is just these things that make us a little bit wiser and better off for taking the hard way.

It sure looks a hell of a lot easier than working another 15 years with a bit of vacation each year.

Well as some of you are saying I could die tomorrow, yes true but if I had to work another 15 years I think I would rather be dead. It has been real it has been fun but not real fun.

So when things get bad and you get knocked down it's not over by no means, it's just the way things go telling us change may do us good. I missed a bit of the good life but I could be missing alot more in the future and worring about visas and all the other bull that comes our way.

Your not going to die and lose your family if you have a drastic change

but only you will be able to make it a success. I am not out here to pay for others mistakes I had to pay for my own and still do. I Wish you all a long term visa if thats whats best for you but I can tell you it may not end that way.

This is the time that you will have to make some very hard choices. You may have childrens education, wife's and whatever else that may be in the agenda. No one owes you anything and it is you who will be the bearer of the fruit.

Good luck

Archived