smoking (cigarettes)

Anyone have any luck quiting, Im starting to develop a increasingly sore throat and I imagine coughing up blood having trouble breathing and a long miserable death arent to far in the future unless I give it up. Problem is I cant go five freakin minutes without thinkin of havin a smoke, cant even say the same about sex. The fact that the smokes are so cheap and just about every punter in bangkok lights up doesn't make it any easier.

wouldnt mond hearing any stories out there from fellow board members

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recommend a book called 'Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking'. ISBN 0-14-027763-3

It's the only thing that has really worked for me. I have tried to stop many times, always it has been a failed struggle. Then I read this book. It's a lot of common sense.

Check out Amazon and see hundreds of other positive comments.

Good Luck

Gratis

Says asfo_list:

Anyone have any luck quiting, Im starting to develop a increasingly sore throat and I imagine coughing up blood having trouble breathing and a long miserable death arent to far in the future unless I give it up. Problem is I cant go five freakin minutes without thinkin of havin a smoke, cant even say the same about sex. The fact that the smokes are so cheap and just about every punter in bangkok lights up doesn't make it any easier.

wouldnt mond hearing any stories out there from fellow board members

ASFO i know the feeling and the bad breathing, I bit the bullet,took the "easy",way out and went to a hypnotist...dont laugh, I haven't had a fag since I saw him, and that from someone who for 25 years never went a half hour without one!!! All I know is you need to Really want to quit if do go to one otherwise it a waste of good money. I'm not off that long but after the 1st day,when the habit is on mind constantly,it has been "EASY". How long will it last? As a positive thought..permanently!!!! I AM A NON SMOKER. Yeah he will get you thinking positive which is half the battle I think GOOD LUCK!!

I chew nicotin gums at work and usually during the week, very easy to forget smoking with them for me. But on weekends when going out for a beer I can't help myself, beer and cigarettes just go hand in hand. I think I'll never be able to give up smoking when drinking. But smoking only two days a week maybe won't kill me.

I hardly have anything to add to the other posters but I feel I have to give you some encouragement.

I quit 13 years ago, stopped dead. Not a drag since.

Nicotine gum got me through the harder times, in the pub drinking beer.

It isn't easy, I am afraid, the urge is persistent. But I still think that quitting was the best decision I made. You need to get stubborn and persuade yourself that you do not need this disgusting, smelly and stupid habit. Yes - read between the lines, you may have to become a 'born again, smoke free pain is the ass'.

Good Luck :up:

Hi,

I'll wade in as well..........

I smoked for 28 years, non-stop 2-3 packs a day, even got up at night to have a drag.........

I wanted to quit and did so 3 years ago with the help of Zyban, all with a smile and without problems.

Go see your doctor and get a prescription, that is if you want to quit.

Good luck !

Cheers !

I quit just over 3 years ago as a commitment to a kid who had just lost his mother - he asked me to, and I said "yes". I think it was because of my feelings for him that I saw the promise through - I'm not sure I would have displayed as much will power if it had been a purely personal decision.

A strange side-condition of the promise was that I am "allowed" to smoke when on holiday in Thailand for my regular visits every 6 months. My first purchase on arrival in BKK is a packet of Saiphon, hence my board "handle", and I get through a packet a day for the 3 weeks I stay. When I go back to the UK I take the opened last packet (usually 19 left in it!!) and finish them off in England, then cold turkey each time. I miss them for a couple of days (I do inhale) but the commitment sees me through.

I know of quite a few guys and gals at my workplace who have quit using Zyban, seems to be pretty accessible right now here in the UK.

I have still never had the bottle to give it a go, I still need something to help keep me calm at work :drunk:.

Although BB has said some good things about it - Any comments BelgianBoy??

Good luck in your quest though...

Archived