20,000 bht Buriram

Guest lazyphil

<<Jasmine, I am rather surprised that you have fallen into the game of deciding what is a sufficient income for other people (about whom you know nothing).

Personally, [color:"red"] I think all IT people in the US don't need more the $30K a year, that is more then enough to survive [/color] . Any more then that is just driving the price of IT support up to unreasonable levels>>

Jasmine, THAIHOME does have a good point ;)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the more I have thought about the question the more I keep coming back with the same answers. The amont she wants is irrelevant. What is relevant is what price does your friend want to pay.

Is your friend paying for exclusive access to her or is he investing in a future long term committed relationship with the girl?

Basically is he a paying for a long term lease on a piece of ass or is he investing in a wife?

Her price is her price and I am sure it can be negotiated. What is more important is what is your friends intentions/expectations and what is he willing to pay for them.

10k per month would be a generous amount if she is sincere about her dislike for working in a bar and wanting to be with her family. Did your friend make an offer or just ask how much she wanted?

There will always be more going on than meets the eye. If he believes enough of her story and likes her enough I'd say go for it at 10k.

Some Thai husbands did a disappearing act when the recent drug crackdown began it's likely her husband will show up again if that's the reason he left.

>Personally, I think all IT people in the US don't need more the $30K a year, that is more then enough to survive. Any more then that is just driving the price of IT support up to unreasonable levels.

I'm in IT too and I'm finding your discussion has swerved into a dangerous direction...cutting my money...ohh..noo :) :)

>Always does when judgements on what someone "deserves" or what is "sufficient" are being thrown about.

Indeed. Going back to butter instead of kaviar would be dreadfull... :)

On a serious note, everyone should sell (in a positive sense) him/herself for as much as possible.

That's what we all do, that's what bgs do.

However, as our emplyers have their say in how much we are worth, so should we about bgs.

With infatuation thrown in, there is no upper limit on how much we can send/give.

My take is - the girl had gone to BKK with intention to bring 10K+ home every month.

She probabbly managed to send about half of that. Now, someone else has to take that permanent role and she is putting the price.

If he does not accept that, she'll go back and wait for another man or say she's happy with less and keep on working bar. When caught, the money may stop but nice sum of 10-15K per month over a few months won't be given back.

I agree they can all live on 5K per month (that's what my gf sends every month to her mother) but that's exactly the poverty she was trying to escape.

Others live on 5-10K but some were more fortunate with their parents/family working habits/luck than others...

Starting from zero, perhaps the 20K sum includes bying or buying back some land, building a modest house and, over 1-2 years acquaring some goods - a TV, washing machine...a big, hungry mouth...20K is likely aimed at paying monthly installments.

Guest lazyphil

Several English girls I know of (via brothers in 50's upwards) married USAF servicemen based here and resettled in the States and who's lives standard of living rose dramatically particularly after the austere years after the war. Not prostitutes but often looked upon by their contemporises at the time as taking the easy route to affluence.

Maybe we should look at the guy. Is he going to return to Thailand 1 or 2 times a year? Is he going to stay for a month?

If he is going to be around only once in a while, we can expect he is going to have somebody else on the side to take care of his needs. Can we not expect anything different from the women? Thai culture is different from western culture, especially in the are of men having more then one wife. In the same token I have come across some Thai women who have more then one husband. An interesting book is one that I believe was written in the 1600's and mentioned how strangely that some of the Cambodian women had more then one wife.

[color:"red"]Personally, I think all IT people in the US don't need more the $30K a year, that is more then enough to survive. Any more then that is just driving the price of IT support up to unreasonable levels.

TH

[/color]

I agree with you on the $30,000/year excluding tax, contribution to 401K (don't really have to on 401K) or buying a house.

I am thinking along that way of how much one needs in Thailand because I am thinking about spending longer time in Thailand. I can probably live on 100 Baht per day. Then I think I need some extra to buy books and magazines, can't think going without reading. ::

Cheers!

jjsushi,

You are probably right. Wahtever the girl wants is irrelavent to what she gets. The guy makes the decision on how much he is going to pay. Now how he reaches his decision will vary greatly and probably from common sense to irrationality.

This deal is completely personal and individual. It really doesn't matter what the next guy pays.

While we have a tendency to always like to compare what the next guy does and gets for his dollar, the common demonminator between two people will never be the same. I could see it only as a ball park estimate....

My guess is guys base it on how much they can afford and what are they comfortable given their financial picture.

Anything beyond this thinking can really work against them. I think we like to apply this "fairness" concept of saying what are her costs but only in the context of our own budgets. If her costs exceed our own budgets of some figure we have in our minds , I would think her costs all of a sudden become a little less important in our decision-making process.

Maybe this is the difference of a guy who can manage their money wisely or a guy who survives by paying their credit cards bills with other credit cards.

So is the real question then is not how much does she get, but what financial impact does it have on his life?

Cardinalblue

Archived