Check this out!

Pharcyde

I have just had a twenty-minute free conversation with thailand.

All I did was install a programme called skype.

It is a new p2p programme made by the same peoples who did the kazaa. Just on this one you dont swap files, but you call each other.

Its virtually free, of course you pay your internet connection. And having said that, you will get the best quality with an ADSL connection. I use a 512kb lan network-connection, and in thailand she uses the 56kb dial up.

Even if there was a 2 second delay or so, and i am behind a firewall, the connection was surprisingly good.

However, its cool, trust me.

Just check it out on www.skype.com

PS: Also Im wondering how all the overseas-call phonebooths and tele-companies are going to handle this one.

Pc.

[color:"blue"]PS: Also Im wondering how all the overseas-call phonebooths and tele-companies are going to handle this one.

[/color]

Not going to be happy puppies. Expect to see server blocking in countries that can. LOS will probably be one of the first considering certain 'vested interests' that exist.

I'm going to go check it out now, have adsl so who wants a call in LOS? PM me.

Is this a PC to PC phone similar to Yahoo messenger, MS messenger or PC to phone such as Net2phone where you need to have a 20USD account?

I am not installing yet an other of these programs without more details.

I do have a VOIP gateway on a server in farangland and can make local (country wide) phone calls there from LOS via my local telephone line there, but VOIP gateways are expensive kits for the time being.

And no, no Voice Over IP in Thailand except through the local telephone monopoly TOT by dialing 1234 first and restricted to Thailand.

Any one trying to make money with VOIP will be shut down by CAT, and the WTO agreement opening telecoms by 2006 in Thailand remains to be seen, nothing is in place to to day make that happen :(

It's a p2p VOIP using your PC as the phone...headset/mic required.. no charge at this point. I've installed it, zero problems, but still waiting for someone else to do the same so I can see how good the VO is.

If you install it...my callsign is the same as here...Laohuli...have it set for private invite only so you will have to request access.

Would be interested to have it in action. But As you say... no way TOT will allow it to funtion in LOS....so use it while you can :grinyes:

I'm usually about 12midnight - 12 noon Thai time 12hrs difference.

LHL,

Why would I need installing this ??????

Both the GF and me have a PC / laptop, both with MSN and netmeeting and we "see" each other daily on the webcam, even better than p2p, no ?

Cost is very low as well, for 1 hour she pays 5 Bt access and 7 Bh / hour with a Samart card, I pay abt 1400 Bt per month here for my ADSL line :)

Cheers !

• 7 months later...

I think you guys simply don't get it! :D

Skype is audio as in conversation & with better speech quality than conventional call if using the right eqipment such as broadband & headset at both ends ;)

I recently sat it up myself & got the GF in BKK online as well, but as she's on 56k modem there'll be a bit of delay & distortion on the line, but I'd say similar or even better quality than most internet routed discounted call services such as UK's telediscount etc.

Currently skype is running beta version 0.97 & soon version 1.0 will be ready featuring offline calls to phones globally at minimal charges or so they say?

PC to PC calls & chat will remain free & so far the program & their web is smooth as silk with not even a single pop up in sight ;)

This may be bigger than kazaa & not even thaksin are gonna succed in stopping them ::

Releases to various PDA's & mobiles in the works while a MS pocket PC version is already out, but only works via WIFI!

Of course there's the other various IM's like MSN or Yahoo who also feature audio and/or webcam, but please don't say those guys work very well if at all & especially not behind firewalls which doesn't seem to bother skype much :)

Happy skyping :bow:

ib13 said:

I think you guys simply don't get it! :D

Of course there's the other various IM's like MSN or Yahoo who also feature audio and/or webcam, but please don't say those guys work very well if at all & especially not behind firewalls which doesn't seem to bother skype much :)

Happy skyping :bow:

Sorry but i really don't get it! Been using Yahoo! that does everything u say other software does and I dont' have any problems with firewalls and all. You haven't sold me on even looking at their web site yet. Please try and convince me again :-)

• 2 months later...

Time to bump this old thread ! Just updated with the latest version of SkyPE and it now includes prepaid dialing to the PSTN network. I've made one call to a Thai mobile and the quality is fine from here in Japan. The price isn't too bad either at 0.08 Euro a minute.

Archived