Striping or raid with firewire

Coss

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Can any one tell me why, when I stripe two external firewire hard disks (fire wire 400, seagate 120Gb 7200 rpm 8Mb buffer), the read write seems to be equivalent to an unstriped drive?

You did not say much about the environment.

Striping will give you better performance only if the stripes are seen through different SCSI channels.

In other words, two drives have to be in the same device group that has striping configured but connected to separate SCSI channels.

Unfortunately, while firewire drives (in practice) perform better than USB2 drives, the firewire interface itself is still the bottleneck. I am interested in knowing all the details of why myself (any experts on this?) but it seems that I/O processing over firewire requires help from the software drivers and, thus, relies on gaining control of the CPU. The average time this takes depends on the operating system but always seems to restrict the number of I/Os per second that can be processed. Thus, while the maximum transfer speed is 400MBPS, most of the time is spent waiting for the software driver to do its bit and the maximum actually achieved is much less. Assuming your firewire drives are on the same bus, you will achieve no performance gain from RAID.

Gentlemen, thank you.

SCSI is out of my league unfortunately, too expensive. Thanks TTM

BritTim, you've given me the answer, Oh well!

Mac OSX 10.2.8, 400 firewire and a Tibook 667Mhz

It's what I do my video editing on. The bare minimum I'm afraid.

PB 17" 1.33 Ghz on the shopping list, or maybe a G5.

Cheers

Coss :up: :up: :up:

I'm not sure how much a G5 would help in the RAID department, because it looks like it only has room for two drives. I think they want people to buy NAS units, another USD2,000 and way up. For the average user Having faster fire wire, and Serial ATA should help though, as well as having /usr/lib /var and <swap> on seperate disks.

I spoke to a more techhy person than I today and he was of the opinion that there should be a vast improvement and that the hard disks were capable of 10 x more.

I think it must be me Tibook 667, they had to replace the board and I think I've got less firewire speed now than before, oh well. This book has had one new screen, one new board, one new painted surround but the hard disk and keyboard are original.

Just ordered a 17" 133 Ghz

Cheers

Coss

Sorry I can't.

[ibook2:~/] adikgede% cat /etc/fstab.hd

# This file is obsolete

/dev/hd0a / ufs rw 1 1

/dev/hd0e /var ufs rw 1 2

/dev/hd0f /usr ufs rw 1 2

/dev/hd0d /tmp mfs rw,-s=12000,-b=8192,-f=1024,-T=sd660 0 0

It looks like Apple put their files system table some where else. This is just a place holder.

You should talk with the vendor for your app about maximizing I/O, failing that ask around at the Mac OS X Hints forum.

Archived