When can a baby travel on a plane?

think_too_mut

TTM,

I know of no restrictions on age for a baby to fly. Flew with my kids when they were babies. It wasn't a problem. Main thing was to keep a pacifier handy during the ascent and descent of the aircraft. Use the pacifier to help the kid swallow/suckle thereby unblocking the ears from the built up pressure, which can hurt and make a baby very cranky while flying. (Or a small baby's bottle of fruit juice or formula during these times of the flight.)

I've never heard of a baby being too "young" to fly, and know of no medical reason for a baby not to fly. (I worked in the airline industry for 25 years almost and have seen many newborn babies boarding and flying on aircraft.)

To be certain I'll ask a doctor friend of mine what he knows on the subject.

BTW, Congrats! Best of luck to you all in this future adventure in life! And best of health to all concerned. Shall we start a poll to help decide on/choose a name? :-) Or have you already chosen a name/names?

Cent

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TTM,

that's a good decision. For her it would really be too much to stay in an alien country and be most of the time alone. On top of this winter ist starting soon and it can get really cold over here.

If you let her come in October it's still ok but avoid her flying after the sixth month of pregnancy. Some airlines require a doctor's certificate from pregnant women starting with the seventh month.

All the best to her from my side.

>If you let her come in October it's still ok but avoid her flying after the sixth month of pregnancy. Some airlines require a doctor's certificate from pregnant women starting with the seventh month.

No flying after returning back end of October. I'm aware of 7+ months pregnancy and air travel.

If there was not a semester break, she would not have come now. That will be end of her 4th month when she goes back to BKK. Still, we have no visa for her yet, Japanese administration may turn her down this time.

Congratulations from a father of a 12 days old girl.

I'm not aware of any restrictions for flying young babies. The book I use as a reference actually states that air travel is the easiest means of transport. I intend to fly mine to farangland as soon as all the paperwork is complete, which will obviously take some weeks. The Thai birth certificate alone takes 15 days.

Why is that?

How would I know? The hospital told us it takes a month, when we told them we can't wait that long they supposedly arranged with the thai birth registry to expedite it so it would be done in one week. My wife keeps ringing them if it's ready and the latest answer was for tomorrow - 15 days from birth.

The stupid thing is also that the hospital kindly issued us with an English birth certificate on the day of discharge, but the embassy won't even look at it, they insist on the translation of the thai original.

Archived