earthquake in BKK

butterfly

I was up watching a movie and didn't feel a thing ::

Maybe because I was totally sober???????? :dunno:

I was there for the 98(?) San Francisco quake and definitely felt that one!!!! Although my primary concern was my school project on a PC :eek: It was only afterward that I realized how BIG that shake was.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very mild- Yawn-

Bear in mind I was downtown San Francisco dying the Loma Prieta quake in 89-

That one was pretty bad but my Grandmom who has since passed away in the sevenies

described the 06 shake as " a doozy don't you know why the sky was alight and

it burned down half the city"

I will never forget that conversation-

>first earthquake for her. I just saw the news on CNN and it was a 6.5 in Burma that did sway the Bangkok area

What time was it? My gf did not mention anything last nite and this morning (Tuesday). 9th floor.

However, I was at level 55 in my office in Tokyo, talking to her when a quake hit 3 days ago and she could listen to my expressions of discomfort while it lasted, in real time.

Later, she saw it on TV.

Earthquakes are a fairly normal thing here in California.

It really matters how far you are from the center,

the last few big earthquakes in LA have been 30-40 miles away from my house

shook up the house but not much else

but most houses here are wood frame and sway with the shakes.

I would be scared to be in a brick building in an earthquake

<<< I was downtown San Francisco during the Loma Prieta quake in 89->>>

I was in the Santa Cruz mountains a few miles from the epicenter.

Ten of twenty houses on my road were destroyed.

My house jumped off the foundation and headed down the hill with me in it. Luckily there were three medium size redwoods directly behind the house for it to lean on.

Before the quake, I had accidentally parked my Corvette in the very rear of the garage, and the door could just barely close behind it. It was thrown forward five feet and ended up just one foot from the wall.

I am indeed a lucky farang.

And the tall trees were whipped so violently that the tops had snapped off, and there were perfect "Christmas trees" lying all around.

Japan has very, very high standards in earthquake proof buildings, but the big earthquake in Kobe (1995) showed that this did not prevent many building from collapsing. I wonder, if there are any regulations for this Thailand, and if, if they are followed? ::

By the way, most people who died in Japan where apparently low class residents and elder people who lived in old wooden buildings.

>By the way, most people who died in Japan where apparently low class residents and elder people who lived in old wooden buildings.

When the quake started, staff around me realized it was my first experience and said we were all safer in the building that at home.

Also said, the building I live in, 5 stories brick block, is more dangerous than 55 floors ofice block with 2m diameter steel bars all up to the top, crossed in "X" as support.

They also said, some Japanese (including some in the office) have developed sense for the incoming earthquakes and start making noise, warning everyone.

"This is a small one, nobody felt it coming - don't worry, this is nothing" they said.

Those monumental office blocks in BKK must had been build to some quake-proof standard. Look to good to be shaken off with an easy tremor.

Watch any construction in Bangkok. First thing they do is drive lots of concrete pilings into the ground very close together. Basically, they are building over mud! I remember in the late '80s when the fire department was urging the banning of high rises. But, nah ... too much money in building 100 storey condos.

p.s. You won't catch me living more than about three storeys up. I've seen what earthquakes can do! I remember one when I was a kid that moved the ground about 20 feet near Bakersfield, CA. The lanes of the highway no longer met. Plus I saw the aftermath of the San Francisco quake. And no, NOT the one in 1906 ... before some smart ass asks.

i remember visiting LA in March? 94 and just after a big quake fires in the area and saw a lot of devastation.

i had a driver for the week and he told me about what had happened,but i admit many years after the event my mind is a little hazy.

i think i remember that the LA Freeway/Santa Monica Road was a bit fucked up.

i think they used some of the roads in the film 'Speed'.

Archived