earthquake in BKK

butterfly

I was downtown San Francisco dying the Loma Prieta quake in 89

---------------------

I had just finished work in the castro area. When I came home, all the appts were fine, except for mine, next to the garage, all the wallboards had come down.

Every time i feel a tremor now, the best way i can describe is: I hate it! If only because they have said a bigger one could be expected anytime within the next 30 years.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was following the NFL on the internet in my 12th floor condo in Bangkapi at about the time mentioned in the Post article... was chatting with a friend on Sukhumvit. I mentioned... I feel my building shaking like the earthquakes I used to feel in Taiwan. Scared the shit out of me cuz I know how buildings are built here. And there are always ants and termites undermining the foundation. http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/23Sep2003_news14.html

Yes a section of the Santa Monica to downtown LA fell down in the 94 quake, also a few overpasses in the north valley near Sykmar.....

I think SPEED was done on the 105 Freeway near the Airport that was not opened yet

earthquakes are a bit scary , but over fast (a minute or 2 ) , I would rather live in earthquake country than tornados , typhoons etc

Says sayjann:

i remember visiting LA in March? 94 and just after a big quake fires in the area and saw a lot of devastation.

i had a driver for the week and he told me about what had happened,but i admit many years after the event my mind is a little hazy.

i think i remember that the LA Freeway/Santa Monica Road was a bit fucked up.

i think they used some of the roads in the film 'Speed'.

Says jp1:

TTM,

this was your first earthquake experience in Japan. Many more will follow. Up to magnitude 6 or 6,5 everybody is safe, so I believe.
:):dunno:

Last nights earthquake was much stronger, luckily it didn't took place near a bigger town

Strong quake hits north Japan :

A strong earthquake has struck the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido injuring over 230 people.

The quake, which hit at about 0450 local time on Friday (1950GMT Thursday), sparked a fire at an oil depot, shook buildings and derailed a train.

The main tremor was of force eight, making it the most powerful quake in the world this year, and was followed by two slightly smaller aftershocks.

However, most people were asleep when the quake hit. Almost all the injuries were caused by falling objects or broken glass in their homes, and so far only two people are said to be seriously hurt. "Everything was falling over in the house," one man told NHK television. "Something hit my wife on the back."

One 70-year-old woman broke her leg as she tried to flee her house through a window. The only death related to the quake came when a car hit a man sweeping up broken bottles in the street.

Tsunami alert

Many people were surprised at the strength of the tremor, which was centred 100 kilometers (60 miles) off the eastern coast of Hokkaido.

"We have small quakes here from time to time, but this was completely different," said Eri Takizawa, a local official In Kushiro.

"We felt it shake for a very long time," said Hiroaki Tanaka, a fire official in the town.

The earthquake prompted an automatic shutdown of the Tomato-Atsuma thermal power station in Atsuma and caused a blackout in nearby communities, Kyodo news agency reports.

A fire started at an oil storage depot in Tomakomai, but no one was injured and the fire was brought under control within three hours.

A local train carrying 39 people was derailed, but only one person was injured.

A number of roads were blocked by landslides, and Kushiro airport was temporarily closed after the ceiling of the control tower fell in.

The Japanese authorities have warned local residents to avoid coastal areas due to the possibility of tsunami. The warning was later down-graded to an alert, a risk which could continue for several days. Waves of up to 1.2 metres (four feet) were observed in some coastal cities, NHK television network reported.

Hokkaido is Japan's northernmost island, with a population of more than five million and is home to a nuclear reactor and active volcanoes.

The capital, Sapporo, hosted the Winter Olympics in 1972.

In January 1995, an earthquake struck the western city of Kobe, killing more than 6,000 people. Most died of exposure of asphyxiation after being trapped under rubble.

BBC-News

Kamui,

This quake had a magnitude of 8,0 but was some 30 miles off the coast. On the Eastern shores of Hokkaido the quake measured slightly over 6,0 according to the NHK news.

Anyway if this had happened on Honshu Island in densely populated areas the devastation would have been tremendous.

Archived