earthquake in BKK

butterfly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of freaked out people last night in my condo, but it seems only if you lived in a high rise. No one else felt it in my office, but my building was swaying back and forth for about 1 minute. Pretty scary. First heard the noises and thought someone had broken in to the condo, then when I turned on the light the door was moving back and forth and the room was swaying noticeably. Not the typical up/down motion that you get in Japan, but a back and forth sway.

This is only the second time in 5 years that I have felt an earthquake, so luckily it doesn't happen too often.

Cheers!

I experienced my first & only tremor a few years ago in Toyko.

I guess it was minor as the Japanese just carried on.

For a western Gaijin (me) it felt VERY uncomfortable / unnerving. :help:

Tried not to show it though. :rolleyes:

Like you do. :grinyes:

I sure as hell felt it last night...woke me up! My first thought in my half-asleep state was that the building was collapsing. Not a nice way to be startled out of a pleasant slumber. Couldn't get back to sleep for about another hour, as my heart was still pounding.

I'm in a three storey apartment building and slept right through it. I grew up in So Cal and am no stranger to earthquakes. But it takes something fairly substantial to get my attention. Around 1986 or '87, Bangkok was hit with three earthquakes within a period of less than a week. The first one sent people running out of the office buildings, but I didn't even know about it until I saw it in the news. Same with the second quake. But the third one was strong enough that my two storey house back then was swaying. Same fault line as this time.

Since there are quakes here occasionally, I've had visions of absolute disaster in the idiotic high rise mess the boobs turned Bangkok into in the early '90s. (A friend calls it Singapore penis envy.) If a biggie ever hits hit, bye bye the whole eastern half of the city!

On 19th floor. Did not feel a thing. A lot depends on how foundation is laid. Built house once. I dugged to bed rock and built from there. A friend built on sand. We were hit with an earthquake. I felt nothing, he thought he was going to die.

Says butterfly:

The GF who lives on soi 4 in my 20th floor condo calls me totally freaked out last night....first earthquake for her. I just saw the news on CNN and it was a 6.5 in Burma that did sway the Bangkok area...any other info ?

Got back late last night after a few drinks... showered... changed... and started to read a book in bed. At around 1:25am the room suddenly started to move all around- similarly to the smaller earthquakes I've been through when I lived in Tokyo. But of course this isn't Japan so I wondered what the hell was causing the building's movement- perhaps some sort of ground subsidence- and I had just read an article that stated most buildings in Bangkok aren't made to withstand any seismic activity... soooo I was worrying what the hell was going on and was my building going to fall down.

Went to work this morning any my secretary told me that one of the All Seasons Place buildings had cracks visible on it so they were turning everyone away from the offices so they could check for structural damage. Geez... imagine if we got a REAL quake here! ::

If I'm not mistaken, Bangkok rests on a delta plain and there isn't a lot of rock. I'd imagine there would be a lot of liquifaction in the event of a substantial earthquake.

In socal, you don't usually move until you hear something crack or fall down. I've lived through many earthquakes and it's pretty much a non-event in most cases. Back home you can tell the native californians becuase they usually never skip a beat while the non-natives are diving under tables.

Nevertheless, if it's a big one, like the 1992 (?) quake that hit Northridge, it's scary as shit. :cover:

Archived