pig farming?

thai3

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says BelgianBoy:

Says LaoHuLi:

Did investigate Avocados and Coffee though. And I understand there is reasonable money in LamYai.

Avocados ???? plant and wait 7 full years to have a first harvest ???? no way.....

Cheers !

Limes take 5 years, LamYai 3-4. Grafting cuts about 2 years off. Meanwhile raise some pigs for food and barter and Specialized 'chickens' for hard cash........now that one is a secret. :shhh:

I did it as a experiment with 75 pigs around 5 years ago. Out of my 200,000 Baht investment, did get back 50,000 Baht. Expensive experiment :-)

Problems that arose... even though I would tell them what ratio to feed them( corn and soymeal with protein) they would yes me but feed them 30% corn and 70% rice stalk because it was 20 baht cheaper per 50 kilos. It would just run right through the pigs and they wouldn't gain weight.

One reason they use 30% corn and rice stalk was it was hard to get ahold of corn. Had to bribe the Kings mill to get even some corn.

They would need water for the house so would turn off the water to the pigs for 5 hours in the Isan heat. Want to see pigs fight?... watch them go after the water after 5 hours of not having any.

The pig shit went into a big lake and created one of the biggest shitpools you ever saw.

After 9 months the pigs are big enough and the butchers turn out to be Mafia. They make a killing, bidding 30 baht a kilo when the set price is 35 baht a kilo and then sell it at the market for 70 baht.

The 200,000 I'm to get back at 70 pigs at 100 kilos each ( 5 had died) goes to my ex-Gf. She gambles it away and buy appliances.

Remaining balance for me... 50,000 Baht. I end up blowing it at the Eden Club over two days. :-) It was more fun than the frustration of trying to teach someone the pig business.

God knows how many phone calls I had... all for naught. I did give it my best shot. Teach someone to fish or buy fish. Cheaper to buy fish!

Thanks for posting but what happened to the little pigs? did you not breed any, or was it buying 75 and fattening them up for selling? I am not in a financial position to fork out for funding agricultural ventures in LOS, but maybe one day.Not with this girl though as she is spending a month with 'a fat man' from Chicago at present (not a bg) so let him do it-peter

I was very happy to get them fat and sell them. I could see the pig business was not a winning hand. ?Cut your losses? is my motto. The gambling of the funds for her was a big no- no, that ended the relationship. Thank God as I?ve done much better finding a new GF who I married.. It?s not even on the same planet the difference.

thai3,

family members from my GTG has pig farms and what i know about that is that this is not an easy job. You have to learn much about pigs.

Especially if you must take care of new born pigs. They are very suscetible for

diarrhoea, especially when premature birth.

Last year two pigs gives premature birth to 22 babys. 21 of them died after some hours or between two days. But one of them first seems to be strong and because the fact that i love animals i took care of this baby pig very much feed them with milk, playing with them and it was more stronger after some days. :)

But after about ten days the pig died after stop eating and diarrhoe. :(

The people say that premature birth pigs most time died. But i felt a bit sad after

i take care first time in my live a pig. So what i know from my small experience is

that it can be a nice job but also not an easy one.

Before jumping in over your head, you might want to investigate how to doctor animals. Find out what kinds of medicines are available in Thailand. Learn how to give shots and how to maintain sanitary conditions. A good farmer can reduce their birth lost to nearly zero if they practice modern farming techniques.

Archived