pig farming?

thai3

The GF has tried having a shop which did not work out and her latest idea is a pig farm in buri ram. She has told me the figures about how much to set up and how much for little pig, how much can sell when big pig etc.

I know a bit about a lot of things but pig farming is not one of them, there is such a wealth of experience here that there might even be someone who knows about little pig and big pig and the likely pitfalls between the two.

I have not said I will be putting any money into it but I might if it was a viable idea, anyone eaten buri ram pig?-peter

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine did it near Fang for a few years. He liked it at first and it was profitable but mainly because his farm was the only one in the area. Very dependent on supply and demand...also the cost of the feed is very volatile. Another problem he had was every time he went away. There didn't seem to be quite so many pigs when he got back. ::

Yes, I know of one farang expat living near Udon T. who swears by pig farming. says all you need is a space for them, feed them, then they are picked up by the slaughterhouse when their time is due. Apparently, they grow fast, their food is not that expensive, and the money is good for a minimum investment.

No need to say that money does not smell. This is the end result, after all. He says thais cringe at handling pigs, because of the smell and killing, so the market is open. Me i say nothing, all these "invest small, gain big" business ideas always sound pretty good around a few beers or a dinner table.

Hi,

From what I understand there are many pitfalls with raising pigs. First of all the people in charge need to know what they are doing, most don't.

I also believe there is quite a bit of 'dark influences' involved with the pig trade. Not certain if you want to get involved with that.

Sanuk!

PS I believe I read someone talking about this on this board before. Might want to do a search.

Says khunsanuk:

I also believe there is quite a bit of 'dark influences' involved with the pig trade. Not certain if you want to get involved with that.

Sanuk!

KS,

Didn't you get the word? Now that drugs have been eliminated, dark influences are next. Rather surprised you didn't hear. :)

Pig farms are very useful for disposing the bodies of those who have pissed you off. :angel:

Brick Top: Your always gonna have problems lifting a body in one piece. Apparently, the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together.

Sol (Lennie James): Would someone mind telling me, who are you?

Brick Top: Then when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because there's no good in leaving it in a deep freeze for your mum to discover now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You gotta starve the pigs for a few days then the sight of a chopped up body would look like curry to a pissant. You gotta shave the head of your victim and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggy's digestion. You could do this afterwards of course but you don't wanna go sifting through pig shit now do ya? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to do the job in one sitting so be weary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs two-hundred pounds in about...eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of un-cooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression: "as greedy as a pig."

>I have not said I will be putting any money into it but I might if it was a viable idea, anyone eaten buri ram pig?

IMO, the idea can have 2 outcomes, both winning for the gf and her family:

If the farm goes well, they can make relatively lazy money. Providing you take care of purchasing the pigs, shelter, food stock, possibly a pickup truck...if you pull out after giving them the land, they may present you with their "only" choice - to mortgage the land to a local loan shark in exchange for the initial capital.

If the farm does not work, the land stays with them. Wipe out (sell) the pigs and a nice block of land is theirs. IMO again, that's what they are really after.

Looks attractive in the beginning - 100-150K and the whole family has work and income.

How do I know? My gf (while I was a customer, after 2 seeings) tried to set me up with that. Of course i rejected it.

Later, she told me what was really happening.

Quite common scheme that sometiome works the way you would think, but more often it's just land purchasing.

If she doesn't have any experience in this, what makes her think she' s qualified to run a farm? Even if she did some kind of business plan, what happens when disease hits, price drops, etc? Pork is seriously cheap.. some plaxes offering 3 kgs for 100 baht........ This varies of course but I'd think twice about starting something that takes a considerable initial investment. Steep learning curve here. Get her a job on someone elses pig farm for a couple of months and then see if she still wants to do it. :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Archived