pig farming?

thai3

Actually if she;s willing ot move up to Chiang Mai then she can by my mother in law's pig farm. We're trying to get her out of this stressful and hard work business and make her just veg out somewhere, also to stabilize the one-way cash flow in her direction. :-)

Give you special price. ;-) Nice land with a mountain view too. Have telephone and electricity. Get all the dogs free. Give you good hourly rate on pig farm tuition. :p

BTW, if you need something to talk her out of it: Say you're worried about bad karma from killing all them cute little pigs!!!!!! Say you don't want to go to hell just yet.

Cheers,

Chanchao

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pig farming can be one of (the?) most profitable kinds of meat farming... . Not sure about in Thailand though, the rules are generally a bit different over there! I don't see why it couldn't be a goer though, especially if there are no loans involved. IMO a business has a much better chance of success if the owner(s) don't owe any money on it.

Of course, the people running the farm, and working on it would have to know what they are doing in the first place. To jump into any business without a sound knowledge of the industry would be suicide... Eg. A drunk buying a bar.

>She says they have enough land for mr pig, news to me. Funny that whatever business is being talked about the set up cost often gets quoted at 100,000 baht

That's really funny. I did not have neither pigs nor land and it was 100K.

You have land and it's again 100K.

I guess with both land and pigs it's going to be again 100K.

And when all pigs and land are gone, it's another 100K to get them out of the debt.

I just checked last night and you can have a fully functional, in operation pig farm including land, pens, pigs, a couple of boars and plenty of little babe-like piglets, and sprinkler system to stop the pigs from evaporating in the heat for 1 mil. baht. Something resembling a house/shed there as well. Get the ducks & dogs free. :) And it's in the civilized environs of Chiang Mai, with a view of Doi Suthep.

Cheers,

Chanchao

• 4 weeks later...

The GF has gone off the pig idea and now favours cows, she writes:

we buy only one time but they will have so many baby cows.  If we have 10 cows ( kines ) so it's mean we will have 10 baby's cows. So we will have 20 cows if we don't sell it until the right time. WE can seel it whenever we have problem and need some money. That's why I think it's better than pigs. Pigs farm we have too much money to open a farm.For cows I think we just need 100,000 baht for 10 cows.

Interestingly pigs and cows appear to cost the same and cows come to the magic figure of 100,000 baht once more. is 10,000 baht per cow right? surely you have to feed them more than grass and I think they forget other overheads like vet bills and cow getting sick and die. Also she seems to forget you need a bull, and I expect they cost more. How realistic is the cow idea?-peter

Hi,

"is 10,000 baht per cow right?"

Yes, from what I understand. My wife is also considering buying some (2) cows, and what I understand it will cost ~7K per calf.

I would expect adult cows to be more expensive.

No clue whether or not this is a good business or not.

Sanuk!

Archived