Any suggestions re what to bring TGF from US?

mongatu

But Mongatu, it is for her. Not you!
Point taken, but still, if I give her perfume, I think she might feel obligated to wear it around me, which I would not like.

Lot's of other great suggestions here though. Especially re cosmetics. Unfortunately, although I have some great head shot photo's of her, none of them are natural light, so I suppose they would not be too helpful at the cosmetics counter.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just find an Asian lady in the store, your GFs age or older. Explain that you have been away and need to get some things for your wife. She'll smile and do a great job of helping us find the right things. (It's like doing it for herself.) :grinyes:

After all, the dumb farang thing works anywhere with Asian ladies...they all know we can't do anything right without their help and guidance. :neener:

Not knowing your gf's preferences for wardrobe and accessories, tough call when it comes to clothes, jewelry, etc.

Thais are really "hung up" on "Made in America" stuff. Even though most brandname stuff is now made outside of the country, if it is connected to the USA it seems to be deemed superior in quality to that manufactured in another Asian country.

For instance, "Oil of Olan" was a heavily advertised asian version of "Oil of Olay" found in the U.S. Couldn't watch a TV show without seeing an ad for it. The asian version was made in Malaysia or Singapore. I brought a BG a bottle of it from the U.S. (about 7 bucks) and the mamasan (Toy at the Toy Bar) wanted to order about 4 for my return trip (for which she volunteered to pay for). I pointed out that "Olan" and "Olay" were the same product, but the mamasan insisted that the U.S. produced version was better. To this day, Oil of Olan is a welcomed gift.

As for the other cosmetics mentioned by other guys, it's a great idea. Only problem is that there are many many choices regarding color. As noted elsewhere, an "asian" (or even hispanic) sales gal might be of help. But only if the skin color is VERY close. (I'm thinking in terms of face powders.) Lipstick also comes in dozens of colors/shades. Really a personal preference of the gal. One of my favorite purchases is made when brand name like Lancome or Estee Lauder have special promotions. I'll buy a $22 powder compact and get a (usually) small clutch bag or shoulder bag with a bunch of samples (including a lipstick) thrown in free. These promotions usually take place 2 or 3 times a year and are a good deal.

"Levis", though now made mostly outside of the U.S. can be a "hit". Have to know waist size for sure. (Length can be shortened cheaply on the street for 50 baht). Also have to know color preferences, as there are numerous styles to choose from. Actually, styles in the U.S. are not always the same as in Asia.

T-shirts, as mentioned by another poster are good items. A good quality shirt might run 15-20 dollars. Ones that you can get through U.S. univeristy online stores might be welcomed. Good quality and something not seen everywhere in Thailand.

Watches, like jewelry, are really personal and IMHO should be picked out by the girl. If you don't believe me, take her to a department store and have her browse the watch counter. Chances are 50-50 she won't see anything she'd die for (especially if you tell her she can look at another store(s) if she doesn't see anything she likes).

One other thing, she might like a "table book" of photos of your home state...or the U.S. Can sometimes get these cheap at Costco. I guess just depends on how personal you want to get.

Happy shopping ::

When in the cosmetics section.....don't forget some quality personal care products, sissors, clippers, good hairbrushes etc that usually are just not available in LOS. And throw in a big bottle of bubble bath and a loofah. Then you can watch the entire DVD while she scrubs up and gets special for you. :grinyes:

[color:"blue"] Nice pens. Why they like them I don't know, but I get so many requests for them I've lost count.

[/color]

Well Asians still write rather than type. In China quality fountain pens are still very chic and necessary. (A document is not legal unless signed in black ink. At least that's the urban legend)

The ladies I often meet need to give their phone numbers to prospective clientele and friends, so a good pen and personal calling cards with a place to write their number are greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Says LaoHuLi:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When in the cosmetics section.....don't forget some quality personal care products, sissors, clippers, razors, shavers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:nono: :nono: very sneaky :applause:

the post was

[color:"blue"]When in the cosmetics section.....don't forget some quality personal care products, sissors, clippers, good hairbrushes etc [/color]

2 can play this one

Rovingeye says

My GF works in Obsessions, and always likes these, yes!

:neener:

>NAme brand perfumes. Forget ALL that bullshit about that being an insult. Maybe at one time, but not now. They know the brands, so don't go generic, but no need for top of the line either.

It's not bullshit. A perfume is a "go away" symbol. If she cares about you, she'll give you 5 baht (symbolic) to make sure you did not buy it for her, that she bought it herself, you just carried it.

>A name brand watch. They know a rip-off.

Always good. With metal band.

>Good whiskey. Even if she doesn't drink, her friends or family does.

All the Glenfiedich stayed with me. What they know is "Spey Royal". No appreciation for a good drop.

Archived