Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is 31, IMO he can do all the mistakes he wants, it won't be too late to shape up.

Exactly! Go for it Mat, what's to lose?

Do you have any sort of a nest egg to fall back on?

How long could you live in the LOS without work? Can you use your experience to work off-site for a U.S firm? $$$$$$

Keep us all posted how you make out. Aggh to be FREE! What am I talking about? ONE week and counting!

:beer::bow: :hubba: :up:

Good God, you people drove me to drink tonight, that and the fact that the Red Sox lost thier first game to the A's in a 12 inning game. I'm ready for elephant polo.

People thinking I'm possible going through a mid Life crises, yes i eat hot food, noodles and rice..love that too, I'll shit in a hole, the hotter the curry the better, Wai three times and touch your head to the ground before entering a temple...I'll do it, Culture shock=====I'LL DO IT.

I'll talk to you all tomorrow.

Matt

Hi!

I was in a similar situation about 10 years ago. I'm in the IT business and do have a college degree. I found that it was extremely difficult to get a job in BKK and downright impossible to get a salary that I would accept. However I'm much older than you and and from a non English speaking country. If I was your age I might give it a try.

Many responses have been negative and discouraging. However the fact remains that there are a number of board members that have done just what you ar planning to do. I would say that if it is what you want to do go for it. Just make sure you have a backup plan so you can get out if you find your life is going in te wrong direction. I have mat a few losers thoughout my trips to Thailand and they are a sad sight.

regards

ALHOLK

Welll, good to hear that you are willing to shit in a hole and do anything coz when you get to Thailand, there aint gonna be no more baseball, football, or basketball for you to watch on television unless you have cable and you are willing to wake up in the middle of the night and watch it (Hey, try asking a Thai person who Barry Bonds is..ha ha ha!) - point being, I have only gone to Thailand for a one month vacation, and I have also had fantasies about living there, but I really miss things like American sports, people that speak English, clean tap water, less scams, and cleaner air to breathe (Bangkok really made me sick!). I also appreciate that a Mexican person pays the same price for a burrito in the Mission as I do (no double pricing based on race)

On arriving in Bangkok, I realized that it is a tough city and I had better use all of my street smarts I have learned growing up here in the city of San Francisco. I can appreciate the people who are being positive and supportive of you and are also advising you to make sure you have an EXIT PLAN!!

Good Luck...and GOD BLESS!

Rug

TEFL is on average 60000b some are better than others. I guess the one in Ban Pe is good. A few board members recommended it. But still 120 hours of instruction would not make anyone a good teacher unless they put their heart and sweat into it. and most guys who are putting their heart and sweat into the bars dont have the energy for the kids.

But good on ya for thinking you will do a decent job

I also appreciate that a Mexican person pays the same price for a burrito in the Mission as I do (no double pricing based on race)

-----------------------

If prices are posted in Thailand as in the mission, and they often are, even in food stalls, you pay the same as locals.

Where tourists go in SF, I am sure a few get scammed, buying something, especially around the wharf and North beach, where more than a few things are more expensive than the rest of the city. Try the electronic stores around Chinatown. I had a friend who was a tour guide, would bring tours there, then come later to pick up his commission.

Just landed a new IT job in SF---6 figures for what amounts to part time work--3 days a week. Bull crap about the economy--plenty of high paying work out here. Cathead

Wow, six figures for three days work...are you taking American money??? What company are you working for anyway?

Not sure if you have noticed the buisness section of the paper in tha last few years, it talks about every company laying people off by the hundreds. About five months ago was the largest amount of layoffs recorded in a month.

i'm skilled in the basics anyway, Windows desktop support and Server, pretty much everyones mother and brother got skills doing that during the dot com boom. although I have years of experience and refrences to back them up, I would probably struggle finding a job, especially one that allows me to live better than living in a studio apartment.

Cheers to you on finding a great job, i think you may have a little luck on your side also.

Matt

Archived