Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

Well if making more in a day than what many of the foreigners in Thailand make in a month is failing then I guess I did. It took many years of working in foreign countries to do so but why stop when things are good. In the last 20 years I have never made under $50G a year being employeed in foreign countries. I have helped many people close to me get their life in order. I am just waiting for my time as I am to young to retire just yet. When I do I will be able to live most anywhere I please and come and go as I please. My principals of hard work are not easy to get away from so I can move into what life style I choose not what is left overs.

Being raised without and having to earn your own way in life

on your own has had a profound and lasting effect. I have been paying taxes since 14 years old but thats life.

Life's a bitch then I married a couple. Let me add I have seen high school kids making more than some people (foreigners) trying to raise families in Thailand make.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy wants to move to Thailand very little savings and just had a breakup of a 6 year relationship and lost his work. He said he would make 30 day visa runs and live off street vendor food and almost sleep in doorways till he found work.

Is the guy going to fall in love with someone from Isan and try to help them out, most likely think most of us did. If I am a failure for pointing out the obvious so what. That is people talking out their backsides. Do I make 50G now, no that was 20 years ago. Have I ever tried to live and work in Thailand no. I chose to listen to many who have retired to Thailand with foreign income and took what they said as wise information. Life can be fun even when old but sticking it out a little longer makes things so much better and easier. I do not think any of us has the Thai ability to have family take care of us when we are to old to work. Life's and adventure and many bad decisions were made in hast or bad times.

Living in SF alone seems to be a big plus for the guy. Good luck what ever he does. Post are to be interesting even if prejudicial. Are we having fun yet.

Says wcv56:

My principals of hard work are not easy to get away from. . . .

How true this can be. I have seen this all too often. People who have been on the treadmill so long, they get used to it, and one day 30 or so years later, some of them wake up and wonder where their lives have gone. :dunno: Some get so accustomed to the "struggle for the legal tender" that they feel lost and worthless when/if they ever stop. So many either never stop (die with their boots on, so to speak) or die shortly after they do retire.

In this regard, there was an item on a news show here just yesterday about the alleged oldest or longest worker. The guy had worked in some factory his whole life and had initially retired at age 73, but after a few years of retirement got "bored" so returned to work at his old job and continued to work until age 103, when, I guess he finally had to stop. He died a year or so after that. Of course the media portrayed this as admirable. I see it as pitiful.

It is a completely different story if your work is your passion, such as would be the case for a musician or artist, or maybe even the factory worker referred to above, but unfortunately, for most of us (including me), that is not the case.

As someone else in another post recently said (paraphrasing the Carly Simon song) "these are the good old days." Yes, I'm having some fun now. No guarantees as to how much time is left for that.

Interesting post. How many times do you think the guy heard

the same thing when are you going to stop working. I am in the middle of the old retiree and the young guy. I listen when

advise is given by them even if we debate it. I also shake the young guy to remind them it does not get easier when older.

Even if I die tomorrow I have done more than most will ever do in their life and have not had to do it with

every decision of what I enjoy to do, being made on do I have enogh money to do it. When money has to control your life to make every decision for you, you are not really having much fun and it is like a dripping faucet ..... drip drip drip

I hope I get to enjoy the benefits of my sacrifices even though I have had as many good times and probably more than most I grew up with. I know I have lived and worked in countries that people spend big money to vacation in. I also do not like work any more than the next guy but thank Bhuda

it is nice to be able to do what I am doing now and looks even better.

I may have a chance to live 20 years or more without ever having to have how much it cost being the first thing on my mind. If my post seem to be demeaning and make you think thats a good sign. I wish I would of listened several times to others but I guess thats all the fun in it and thanks to the internet we can have it said more often now.

Maybe even save a bit on buying a book or magizine if you can do a bit of debating on these web sites and it is more true to life.

As said many times you cannot take it with but I do hope I have a enough to get there and enjoy it. If you see me in Thailand I may be the guy that has one T-loc holding my beer on the golf course while I have another T-loc putting the ball for me. The fun for me is getting to the green and enjoy it not worry about how much it cost.

I like to play some of these BG pool also and some of them are a real chalenge and a blast. Life's a wonderful thing and I thank Thailand so much for the enjoyment I have had in the last several years. Good luck to you all.

Archived