Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

>>>LaoHuLi wrote>>>>>If you can get past me and still wanna go.............super.

You've passed my test of courage.

Go for it. And should you really need a hand................don't call me..........

I'll buy you the first beer when we meet. >>>>>>>

Figures, after all the crap I've heard from you, and you can only buy me one beer. I should have know you were cheap too. Is that an Expat thing?????????? I do plan getting your phone number out of you so be wary, I figure I might need it late at night when I'm in jail for getting beatup by a bunch of Thais for doing stupid bar tricks with a 100 baht bill.

Looks like I will have to buy the second round of beers.

looking forward to seeing you in smog ville.

Matt

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] you now may commence with smart ass replies :-)[/color]

I doubt that board members here are posting negative replies with any other motive, than to make you aware of the many potential pitfalls, awaiting the uninformed traveller to LOS. IMO most of the advice offered has been the result of actual real life experience of the people who have actually done what you are seeking to, and as such you should consider it carefully before comming to your conclusions.

I think your backout plan was your most sensible idea to date, and with that in place go for it you will have a great time and will educate yourself in ways you have yet to conceive. Thailand can be an overwhelming experience for the first time visitor, try to keep a sense of reality in the situations you find yourself. Don't believe all of what BGs tell you and don't fall in love! at least untill you have gained experience in the ways of sanuk. Regarding your accommodation, have you thought about sharing an appartment/house with a fellow expat? On my first extended stay here, I shared the house of a Nana Plaza go-go bar owner, I paid about 4000 a month and it really was the best trip ever :grinyes: I made many friends and got an invaluable education for free.

One last point, get out before the cash runs out, LOS is paradise when you have money, without it, it would be a nightmare. Trust me on this one! GOOD LUCK:beer:

Oh my Bhuda. Do not say that, what is your experience with this negativity. Just because you do not like their politics does not mean they do not like us. Is the glass half full or half empty. do not answer me I am joking. This is getting a bit tiresome now maybe I better get a labotomy or did I already do that. JP1 let me get some rest then I will answer you interesting anyways.

mnvinaz

I have a friend that owns a large school in Thailand and lives not far from SF. I do not know much about his school other than it is in south Thailand. I will not talk to him and his wife again until I take some time off work and I am not sure when I want to do this so just maybe I may get some info for you but not for at least a few months. Good luck.

The smart ass reply wasn't intended for all, and lightly intended for the rest(i'm sure they know who they are).

I appreciate the so called "negative responses" and look at them as you have said, people giving an informed opinion, and maybe even a serious warning. As in "clear out before the cash runs out". Will do, I will keep a few thousand as safety money and not touch it until I am back to the States.

I may consider living with someone, but I do have enough to get by for about 10 months living alone and in somewhat of a nice place. I got the feeeling I may be doing quite a bit of sitting in the apartment contemplating what a stupid move I made, and at least I could have a couch to sit on.

As for dont fall in love, well love is blind isn't it. I'm really going to need a lesson on this whole beautiful Thai girl capturing my heart and wallet thing. I'll try to be a rock and an island.

Got to run, selling my stereo system tonight. Dont worry all, it's a peice of crap anyway, no bridges burned.

Matt

Americans are minorities in the foreign population in Thailand

-----------------------

sources and stats, please...........

The way i see it, it's some guy called XXXX (mnvinaz on NanaP) who is going there, not AN american. Unless he plans to wear his nationality on the sleeve and patronize obnoxiously other farangs about being better than them for being american, I don't see what you mean. If he's got a good and sociable personality, that's better than what his passport says about him. If you have routine examples of farangs instigating to have americans being fired and passed over from/for a job, I would like to read it. Thanks

[color:"blue"]As for dont fall in love, well love is blind isn't it. I'm really going to need a lesson on this whole beautiful Thai girl capturing my heart and wallet thing. I'll try to be a rock and an island.[/color]

Yes, be aware TG's can turn you "rock" into ice-cream in less time than it takes me to write it. They all will be after your wallet in the end, there is no way out of this, that's life here. But they are sooo sweet sir....

My tg, who's from very poor background just told me yesterday people were talking "bad" of her family when she was a kid, even a brother of her mother never spoke to her.

Since I showed up in the village they are a respected family now and the mother's brother even invited us in his home, which we declined. Why could that be ::

____________________________________________-

Iternerary for arriving.

First 3-5 days

Get hotel room in Bangkok. Get cell phone. Get buisness cards. Locate cheap, possible furnish apartment close to the skytrain. Hand out buisness cards.

Day 6-14

Go South and stay on beach and explore Island. Hua Hin sounds nice. Acclimate to weather, learn Tai ASAP. Check out tourist buisness.

Day 14-17

Head back to Bangkok. Look for apartment if one has not been picked out. Network with people.

Day 18-24

Head to Chang Mai. Do the tourist thing, but keep eyes open for job opportunities. Learn Thai.

Day 25 to 6 months

Back to Bangkok, Check into apartment. Make 30 day visa runs. Look for job, look for job, look for job.

Getting a cell phone may not be easy. I do not think tourist can get a cell phone on their own.

Getting business cards on a tourist visa is really dumb. What you are saying is you are doing business in Thailand which is a no-no unless you have a business visa.

Getting involved with the Thai tourist business may be an unwise choice. There are too many tour guides in Thailand that are out of work.

Getting an apartment. I do not think a person on a tourist visa can get an apartment on there own..

All of these obstacles can be overcome, but generally the person can not do it on their own. The cell phone, apartment, etc. are in a girlfriend's name, etc.

I have worked with many multi national companies. Nationalisim is alive and well. Thailand it is predominately so.

Talk to a few thais on the subject that are at a level in a company that can tell you the politics being played. I speak a few languages and have friends of different nationalities. Some will not go to establishments of other nationalities because they straight out do not like them.

I have seen it more in Thailand than many other countries maybe because it is more multinational.

Steffi is right what she is saying about Thailand also. They have a serious problem of to many foreigners trying to live and work in Thailand now. They want tourist and they have many more asian countries also showing interest in living in Thailand. Tourist stats from each country that are once in a while published in news papers have given figures.

I would have to look this up again but sure Australians were at the tops the German/swiss/austrians, U.K. and then scandenavians were the most frequent with americans to follow. (someone can correct this, going off old memory asian countries not mentioned here)

I would also think it would be safe to say there is most likely as many foreigners living in Thailand doing visa runs as there is on retirement visas and work visas (this is debateable I guess).

Do you think americans are obnoxious and another more or less do not like their politics. Maybe Americans are just in the news far more than most other places so they are more open for judgement. It has come at a very high cost to the tax payers and life's. It probably should of been best to maybe let the dominate countries take over the weaker countries in Europe after WWII or before and the same in Asia

You would have Russia (Germany), China (Japan) and the U.S. their most likely would not be anyone traveling outside their own borders then.

Have to go been to long on this. Just my opinion anyways so who much cares. Hope it was enjoyable

Says MightyMouse:

Getting a cell phone may not be easy. I do not think tourist can get a cell phone on their own.

Getting business cards on a tourist visa is really dumb. What you are saying is you are doing business in Thailand which is a no-no unless you have a business visa.

Getting involved with the Thai tourist business may be an unwise choice. There are too many tour guides in Thailand that are out of work.

Getting an apartment. I do not think a person on a tourist visa can get an apartment on there own..

All of these obstacles can be overcome, but generally the person can not do it on their own. The cell phone, apartment, etc. are in a girlfriend's name, etc.

Just to chirp in: All of this (except for Thai tourist business perhaps) is just plain wrong. Hardly an obstacle at all.

EDIT: Took away the bloody annoying "!!!????!!!????**" in the title...

Archived