Making the move

2. TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa will be issued to applicants who wishing to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- One recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Air ticket paid in full

- Financial means (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request for additional documents as deemed necessary

Not only is there a financial requirement for a tourist visa - all visas require a method of support. The above quote is taken directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site at MFA Visa Page

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloomberg has several anlyst firms (not related to bloomberg itself) that give their outlook

that have put Thailand in the top stable markets. Did they make it through the IMF problems. Has manufacturing increased in Thailand while other markets have lost alot to include many western countries also moving operations and manufacturing to Thailand...... Location, weather, religion

and a government that can stay the course with many countries on the political level.

Do they still have NPL problems yes (so what about Japan then). Exports are rising

where most are falling (other than china).

Economist magazine is what, nothing but a story teller rag this is from first hand experience I would not believe much they print and they are only interested in selling the magizine alot of sensationalizing in articles at least the ones I have knowledge of.

Thailand has battles on many fronts with coruption, drugs, debt, and the general world reputation (nightlife scene).

Are they doing something about it yes.

Thailand has been a leading destination for people falling through the cracks in the western world, Why? This is going to change and very soon if they want more and continued asian business investment.

Thailand does have a small stock market but it does have one that is being praised at this time. Better than many countries around it that have none and others that are much larger but still falling.

I do not know about what bubble you mention as most companies that are invested in are mainly export oriented.

I am not in the thai market other than a asian mutual funds

so I am going by what professionals are saying not on my own research.

This is my observation regardless of what others think they know. I do not live there so I am unbiased. I welcome the chance for me to learn something and have someone disagree but I more tend to believe professionals in the field than someones self serving insights. Just because the local bar prices rise dramaticly does not mean that the inflation rate over all does. For a local punter not much other would matter though.

Enlighten me on your observations and experiences, I welcome the chance to learn.

I am watching the stock market reports about 6 hours a day

so I am getting info from the news but of course i understand a punter at the bar will have more first hand knowledge and so might the person that has to be at work all day who hears this and that second hand. I have no reason to have anything preconcieved. I have been going to thailand for many years and have seen much change and can draw my own conclusions on some issues.

>>>i understand a punter at the bar will have more first hand knowledge and so might the person that has to be at work all day who hears this and that second hand. I have no reason to have anything preconcieved. I have been going to thailand for many years and have seen much change and can draw my own conclusions on some issues.<<<

you live under the assuption, very mistaken if i may say so, that every poster on this board here is some sexcrazed barfly.

i do live here, and i do see the bubble forming. not from inflated drink prices in farang bars (about which i could not care less), but from the unresponsible policies to give everyone credit opportunities. from a rising cronyism in the business world, from the government attempts to artificially rice prices of agricultural land for speculation purposes.

but then, according to your logic, i am biased because i live here and speak the lingo.

lop3,

I didn't know that the tourist visa has a specific dollar amount but for two years here, no one has ever asked me for proof of 20k to show that i can carry my own weight financially for two months. I am in the process of getting a visa B....

Has any thai consulate ever asked anyone you know for 20k or even return ticket proof? There is nothing in the current tourist visa application requesting financial verification and/or a copy of your return ticket. Probably not a big problem or demands would change....

What i find interesting is that my friend was asked for monthly income proof since he is treating the tourist visa like a retirement visa but he isn't eligible for a retirement visa. Maybe this is the additional proof enacted considering the continuing utilization of tourist visas?

How does LOS handle people who meet the financial obligation but don't qualify age-wise? What visa can they apply for and still remain single?

cardinalblue

Don't believe the requirements are enforced among the first world (or whatever they are called now) countries but believe those from other countries are still asked for ticket during application for visa and may well be asked to show funds. As this was in relation of extended use of a 30 day stay do not find it that far out.

You don't meet obligations if you are not of age or married. Just like in most other countries in the region. If you want to stay longer you work or invest or study etc; and get the visa for that. There does not seem to be any 'permanent tourist' visa.

I have been going to thailand for many years and have seen much change and can draw my own conclusions on some issues
OK, fair enough. I was confused when you began a post with "Asain market report bloomberg" and went on to write your personal feelings on the subject.

Fly

They are doing the same other countries have done for years. Europe has some of the highest subsidies of any place in the farming industry.

Thailand is becoming a central hub for asia and is well diversified that many power house countries do not have.

Would you agree Thailand is in demand for many reasons.

Westerners are not the only people interested in making Thailand more than a vacation and it has alot to do with the same reasons westerners try to make Thailand home or vacation destination.

This small little interesting exotic country is not that anymore.

How many countries have a problem with western immigration, not many. Add the asian immigration to it and you should see the managing of it in a well thought way is not that simple.

They have to find a way that tourist intrest remain a good income but also advance with industralization and other business interest attractions.

Would a western person try to live on 600 or U.S.$700 back home a month retirement, not if they were able to still work they would not. Many are doing it in thailand years before a normal retirement age.

Many that make Thailand home now have not the means to look much further than what effects their day to day life. Many foreigners have little or no savings and just getting by.

How long will Thailand have a need for these people. What good is a foreigner that knows about the SET but has no money to invest in it.

I draw my conclusions in a normal rounded outlook of the whole picture not just bits and pieces. If you want to talk Debt and bankruptcy % you may want to look at some western countries first. Thailand is an emerging market country but this may change in the next 10 years. It will not require catering to foreign drunks and sanukers maybe just the opposite. Nor will it be dependant on Low wage western workers and retirees.

Thailands obsession with the farang is going to get a diet

just like the food gobbling farang countries obesity is.

Big and fat no longer means good and rich to the thai populace. The needed diet is on the way with a more lean and

mean money making machine to appear with some order.

Growing pains will have to be tolerated at all levels of life if

it is to continue in an orderly prolonged fashion.

Just my view from a interested outside look.

Just in on the news wire. Asian markets had huge invesments into asian markets nonjapan investments. China is importing large amounts of resources from other asian countries. Mutual funds are up a large amount along with increase in value of currencies. A little more than rice and beans to be happy about.

Says cardinalblue:

I didn't know that the tourist visa has a specific dollar amount but for two years here, no one has ever asked me for proof of 20k to show that i can carry my own weight financially for two months. I am in the process of getting a visa B....

These regulations aren't new but like anything else in LOS that isn't routinely enforced, the lax enforcement policy can change on a moment's notice.

"you should never forget that 99% of the people who come here will return after a few years not being able to make it here (but may still make some valuable experiences).

nevertheless, that should not stop you, because some do make it."

Life is a journey, not a destination. It will be a valuable experience, and you might even die here (Possible definition of being successful here is that you stay until you die?).

In life, you should expect to change your plans as you go, and you might find an even more rewarding career here.

Let us know when you arrive!

RickF

Archived