Making the move

Just saying, "Economist magazine is what, nothing but a story teller rag this is from first hand experience I would not believe much they print" displays your basis of information, so there really is no point in taking this up with you.

But, I'll try, lol

Foregoing that, what is the linkage between the manufacturing companies and tightening up visa restrictions. Still haven't pointed that one out to me.

"and a government that can stay the course with many countries on the political level." Unfortunately I can't answer this one in this forum. This does reflect on your knowledge as well as teh comment about the Economist.

"Thailand has been a leading destination for people falling through the cracks in the western world, Why? This is going to change and very soon if they want more and continued asian business investment. "

AGAIN, you are not arguing coherently. Please draw the correlations. I am pretty thick and I still haven't seen you refute my objections that I listed in my previous post. Transparency and protection of investment comes way before a backpacking teacher. How am I wrong? What has changed from 6 years ago and today to have such a focus on backpacker teachers?

"I do not know about what bubble you mention " Cause you don't read the Economist, the Wall Street Journal, or quite a number of Thai economists.

"so I am going by what professionals are saying not on my own research." Basically, your own research is really what you can trust over here. Try picking up an analyst report. Try verifying their PRINTED Beta. Damned good bet their Beta is off, even if you get the exact dates they are using to calculate the Beta.

If you are going to go by what professionals say, it should be logical. So again how does investment in Thailand mean tighter visa restrictions when transparency and investment protection are still being fought in the courts? I don't see the priority.

I love this comment, "This is my observation regardless of what others think they know." Especially becomes it comes right after, "so I am going by what professionals are saying not on my own research." Enough said on that front.

"Enlighten me on your observations and experiences, I welcome the chance to learn." Your response shows the total opposite. I first would suggest picking up a macro economic text book. Then after going through the textbook, go through the gov't's economic forecasts. Then, do some research on the NPL's of the 1million baht village fund. This is probably a good % to apply to the 100Billion baht fund that is being established now. Add on top of that the additional support by the gov't banks (several estimates are available). Then after all that, compare that again to the govt's projections to see if that makes sense.

Course, this is all only coming from an English teacher so you should really take it with a grain of salt because I'm NOT a professional (just an ex-IB from Wall Street who wrote economic updates and structured billions of dollars for a bulge bracket firm). Course, that's just heresay too.

<<burp>>

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok i just bought the latest economist

Asian articles (it's all doom and gloom including the front page headline stories.....

1 North Koreas economic reform (who cares)

2. Japan, S korea and Iraq ( a helping hand)

3 The Philippines ( a not so retiring president)

4. China (Forced relocations in China)

5. Asean ( a holiday in Bali)

6 Kazhkistan,s naval ambitions

1.Headline stories The problem with lavish executive pay

2. russia's phony democracy

3 isreal, syria security wall

4. Scharzenegger Triumphant

5 After the Telecoms bubble ( a survey)

www.economist.com

in the back of the magizine yearly advance in the markets since Dec 02 Thailand in local currency +57.3% $ +72.7%

GDP +5.8% Indust produ +5.5% current trade balance +8.7% Foreign reserves $37.4 Bn

Toyota is moving its main production to Thailand soon. I for get what the investment price was $Bn

Rickfarang,Thanks.

I don't care much for politics.

All i want to do is try and live in another country.

And that is what i am going to try.

Whatever happens with all the visa rules and stuff,is gonna happen anyway.

So basically,i am just gonna go.And if it's possible i am going to try and get a contract.If not,well we'll see how long i last.

The important thing for me is,that i am not sitting in 10 years regretting that i didn't do it.

So....Se you all sometime in 2004.

And thanks for all the answers.

Of course,all suggestions,on how to make things easier are most welcome:-)

Nick

Cardinal---

I agree... In the past a simple letter from our Bangkok office was sufficient... On my last visa app (Sept 23rd) we were asked for Certificate of Incorporation, tax records for 2+ years, stock holders information and US corporation papers. No problems for me, but a bit change from years past...

My app packet was almost 35 pages long with all the documentation required.

One nice thing was that I was given a THREE year multiple entry compared the previously issued one-year durations.

Fee jumped from US$40 to US$125, which when compared to other countries visa costs is fairly inline (IMHO) with standards.

--UPSer

Archived