Making the move

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes this Thai goverment is giving the people a false sence of security in my opinion. credit cards have increasd 400% at some banks, car loans are are record high, Building being built, but the goverment is making no efforts at attracting investors and the Bhat is increasing so fast that the exports will not be able to keep up with their current economic model. Can you say BUBBLE ECONOMY.

I say it will burst within 24 months. Once again it is the asian (thai) _ all show , no substance!!!

Unfortunately, visa obtainment is getting much stricter than looser and more costly.

Check with the thai embassy in denmark but if it is following other thai embassies, one cannot obtain a nonimmigrsant visa B without the proper document from an employer which gives it the necessay authority to issue a 90 day visa B which in turn allows for the employer to start the work permit process. That is the purpose of that type of visa if for employment purposes. There are other reasons (research, short-term education, etc) why that visa is issued.

One can obtain a one year multi-entry visa but one has to justify the reason also through your employer and requires additional documentation. I don't know what that is. I am going through the former with my current employer now.

I don't know what is available in terms of fake authorization letters but there is probably these services available too..

You might have to go through the tourist visa route as many illegal teachers do currently. But two guys just last week got hassled at the thai immigration office in bkk because they been existing on tourist visas with extensions for years. They were both applying to extend their tourist visa another 30 days...

Rumor has it that living off of tourist visa with extensions days will be over if the thai authorities pass some drafting rules that will limit the number of tourist visas that a person can use in a year or on a consecutive basis.

I think some bad news coming down the pipe for many ex-pats living in LOS....

Cardinalblue

> Rumor has it that living off of tourist visa with extensions days will be over if the thai authorities pass some drafting rules that will limit the number of tourist visas that a person can use in a year or on a consecutive basis.

:( ::

Says Peter1964:

> Rumor has it that living off of tourist visa with extensions days will be over if the thai authorities pass some drafting rules that will limit the number of tourist visas that a person can use in a year or on a consecutive basis.

:(
::

Just out of interest, do you have a source or is it just background chatter?

Cheers

PS

Asain market report bloomberg. The thai stock market was one of the top worldwide. Many countries are making Thailand a main base for manufacturing in the asian region. Of course this will mean cleaning up the non thai populace. Big money companies can demand this. Since the down fall of the currency Thailand has been atractive for big corporations.

The Thai government has more or less determined it is better than the 100,000's of low income long stay tourist. Thailand has lost it's exotic tourist destination to become a low income

punters destination and limited source retirees or anyone else that needs to live cheap.

This same thing has happened in many South American and European holiday destinations.

It is just a natural occurance that has happened several times and places before Thailand and asia in general. Many cheap places in asia to take it's place and build on what

Thailand restricts as the norm for the last 20 years.

Indonesia, Cambodia and other places will start to cater more

to the disconcerning low income long stay tourist. Some places will take $$ (buck ) at any cost. Some places may be in the recycle stage already. Face it the Farang is not the save all solution it was 30 years ago.

For farangs that have a decent income the future in Thailand could get better for those that do not you may be a thing of the past. So poor planned long term goals will not last for years as before, it will be either you qualify or you do not for a long term stay. The farang is just a small portion of the long stay low income problems so please do not make it a against the farang issue. Best of Luck to you all.

wcv56 says:

Many countries are making Thailand a main base for manufacturing in the asian region. Of course this will mean cleaning up the non thai populace. Big money companies can demand this. Since the down fall of the currency Thailand has been atractive for big corporations.

The Thai government has more or less determined it is better than the 100,000's of low income long stay tourist....

What are your sources for this information? Preferably original sources before you have twisted the meanings to fulfill some preconceived notions you have.

Thailand is ALREADY a main base of manufacturers in SE Asia. This isn't new.

I also don't see the connection of why these guys (who are already here) would demand the "cleaning up the non thai populace".

To me the connection doesn't make sense considering that this population is exceedingly small when you consider the whole country. The conglomerates would be focused much more on transparency and making sure their investments are protected (see TPI and a certain ministers company going through bankruptcy proceedings which has been challenged by certain major japanese banks) rather than a backpacker teacher.

Now if you argued that the tightening of restrictions was politically motivated, I can believe that with the World's focus on this "War on Terror."

Economically? I need you to draw the connections for me cause I just don't see it.

Lastly, you cite Bloomberg. Generally a reputable source, but I have to ask what's the size of the Thai SET vs. any major exchange? Would this warrant an actual on the ground paid reporter here? Bloomberg would have to say something nice to seem that it's on top of this burgeoning (bubbling?) market as it is on top of the World's top gainers, but what's the underlying data supporting this? That's my argument against your Bloomberg source as well as about any article in the Economist (a rag that is known for doing its homework).

But I guess Time will Tell all sooner or later :)

<<burp>>

PS,

This rumor is passed down from guys talking so we will see what fruition comes of it.

I do know now of three people who have been questioned in detail about their purpose in thailand. All three were not working legally (meaning work permit) and all long-time tourist users to stay in the country. All were drilled on their application for an extension. One was asked to show financial resources even though there is no current requirement to do so on a tourist visa.

I have persoanlly experienced neigboring countries reducing from multi-entry or two entries down to only a single entry. We all know about the dramatic visa price increases across the board....

There sure seems to be a lot of activity making it more difficult to be in this country using tourist visas as your vehicle. Lets watch as things shake out and hope some common sense comes to how they promulagate regulations and requirements...

Cardinalblue

Archived