My favorite hotels - BKK/Pattaya

Good Point, Gary. I assume you are talking about some kind of shame the girl would feel 'cause I would be feeling rather proud. I will take your sugestion to heart and find something less expensive.

Thanks,

Clyde

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clyde,

The Landmark is okay. Location is good and the food at the Atrium restaurant is very good. But the rooms are average, in my opinion, and has "walk of shame" to the elevators. The JW Marriott is more expensive, but much better than the Landmark. Good rooms and no "walk of shame". You might give some thought to the Omni or the Grand President-both I think are a better place to stay than the Landmark.

quote:

Originally posted by zigfreed:

bkk budget: Grand President

bkk $$$: Peninsula (one of the best in the world in my opinion)

Pattaya budget: beachview

Pattaya $$$: Dusit

Totally agree on the Peninsula: I've stayed in something like 20 hotels in BKK, and the Peninsula was easily the best -- most luxurious, best breakfast, etc.

The Sukhothai was also very nice. Both were nicer than the Oriental, BTW. The Oriental gets points for great service and restaurants and stuff, but frankly I couldn't care less about a lot of the traditional indicators of a 5-star hotel; all that fanwing service and fancy restaurants are lost on me.

One other fun thing about staying in a fancy hotel: watching the staff squirm as they have to fawn over your young Isaan TW (thai wife). This was most acute at the Oriental, BTW -- and having foreseen this, I had booked and registered the room there in TW's name (giggle). I really enjoyed the discomfort of the c*nt behind the counter when we'd ask get the key after returning from an outing.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by john:

I too quite like the Royal Asia. The room was clean and a goosd size,nice big fridge. No trouble with guest, never asked for ID.

jirve

Royal Asia, Yuk! frown.gif" border="0

If married, and was taking my wife and kids, it would be a good bet. (Very clean, modern rooms.) As a single guy, I wanted something closer to the action.)

On my last trip, I booked a week there, but after the first night I checked out. Too far from Sukhumvit! I hated having to call for or wait for the hotel TukTuk constantly. The restaurant there had a very limited menu (and had poor hours, I went to go to dinner at like 8 and it was closed!) And what was the deal with having to stick the room key in a little slot to make the AC work?!?

tongue.gif" border="0

Sorry, but I made plans to jump back to Nana Hotel the next day...

My favorite hotels:

Bangkok: Nana Hotel (but I might try the Omni next year, I hear all sorts of good things..)

Pattaya: Penthouse hotel (I see a trend here, I seem to like the places that are very near the girls!)

...my 2baht...

-=/NN

In bangkok if i am with may gf i like Royal ASIA . If i am on my only then i like the Majestic.

In pattaya the Weekender on 2nd road is good

quote:

Posted by Neon Ninja:

And what was the deal with having to stick the room key in a little slot to make the AC work?!?

Pretty standard in most hotels worlwide these days, energy conservation and all that. Stops you going out and leaving all the lights on and the a/c on "Alaska" setting all day. Required by very few board members. Well, just one really.

---------------------------------

Gromit.

Archived