Garbage Collection in Bangkok

danish30

Hi,

I keep hearing news that the cost of garbage collection from every house in Bangkok is to be raised from close to nothing to about 1200 Baht/month. Does anyone have any real info on this? Seem to me like an unrealistic raise in cost for collecting garbage, and most likely such an increase would just make many more people burn their garbage instead of having it collected. Would like some more real info.

Best regards,

Danish30

garbage collection is done by municipial employees.

every house pays a small tip to the collectors, about 40 or 50 baht a month. asking the neighbors is the best to find out how much everybody is supposed to pay.

we pay about 100 baht as we have three dogs, and it's not so nice for them to take all the dogshit away.

Hi flyonzewall,

This is how it is right now (acually they are here collecting our garbage right now as I write this post, must be way past my bedtime :)), but I heard several times from different sources that they will increase the collection expense to around 1200/month soon, something about polution control and development of the current dump sites I think.

Best regards,

Danish30

>>>that they will increase the collection expense to around 1200/month soon<<<

if they would do something that idiotic they will have a small revolution going on here - lots of people who own or rent their houses are in a monthly income range of maybe a combined household income of about 8000 to 20000 baht, gotta pay schoolfees etc.

if they would do something that idiotic they will have a small revolution going on here - lots of people who own or rent their houses are in a monthly income range of maybe a combined household income of about 8000 to 20000 baht, gotta pay schoolfees etc.

Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking, 1200 is a huge chunk of most families income, so I am expecting somthing like large mountains of uncollected garbage and the smell of burned garbage almost everywhere should they implement something like this. But just something I head, not a sure thing. just wondered if anyone else heard the same.

Best regards,

Danish30

Believe that there was an article in the Bangkok Post within the last month or so about fees. Currently believe official fee is something in the range of 3-7 baht if I recall currently but most collection districts charge about 40 baht with official receipts each month and split up the money among the workers. Believe the plan is to charge this 40 baht as the new fee but in return increase the official pay of the workers to make up for their loss.

Also seem to recall that there is a fee that can be charged if you live outside of the normal collection street so that is probably the basis for the current charge (we all live outside the collection street).

Hi,

I made a search in the archive of Bangkok Post:

"City council backs ten-fold increase in garbage fees

The city council has approved a ten-fold increase in garbage collection fees proposed by Bangkok governor Samak Sundaravej."

17 Oct 2003

elef

Archived