expat ailments

pattaya127

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excessive amounts of earwax ;) had to treat an ear infection once because I cleaned my ears too much.. and a couple of cases of bad stomach.

In general I think it's a good idea to avoid the air pollution as much as possible and stay in shape to withstand the heat and humidity.

Thats about it for me.

Best regards,

Danish30

P,

Not a full fledged full time expat, but spend a lot of time here, mostly upcountry. I've had a couple of ear infections. Swear I got them from a hotel swimming pool's water after some days of rain. Probably not clorinated and shocked enough after the rains. Also got a nasty case of althelet's foot once. Again I think from a hotel hong nam rather than my own. We brush the floors of our bathrooms one a week or so with bleach, so I don't think it was from my place's floor. Also got a bad fingernail infection once after the silly twat who cut my fingernails cut me too close and drew blood. Should've disinfected it quicker. Something got in there and I needed to eventually get it lanced to drain. The climate and humidity breeds the little germs quickly, and it pays to disinfect and watch your cuts and abrasions here. Other than that, no problems, and knock on wood I've never gotten sick from the foods or water I drink here, and I've eaten everywhere. Some places pretty dodgy looking too! :-)

Cent

Guest lazyphil

Putting my jealousy aside of expats aside :o--I get a cough in bkk after just a few weeks in bkk--touch wood I've never got sick with food posioning....

Says Cent:

The climate and humidity breeds the little germs quickly

Hi cent,

Too true. And small things like cuts or minor infections take longer to clear up - including colds. I have been lucky with stomach problems, but get numerous skin infections in different places :o.

The air in BK is polluted, and the hot and humid climate on top means that it is easy to get over-tired, and this happens to friends as well so it's not just me. :angel:

Khwai

In Bangkok, the air pollution definitely gives me problems. I'm not sure it's the chemicals in the air, but the particulate matter. I heard something on the tele that said particulate pollution is very very bad becuase it can't work itself out of the system easily. Just think of all the dog shit, rat shit, people shit, rotten food, and other unmentionables that find their way into the street. Once in the street, the cars blow the stuff around and we breath it.

I've never had asthma or other beathing disorders, but I just can't stay in Bangkok for more than two weeks without getting sick in my chest.

The other expat disorder I think I have is damage from alchohol and smoking. I drink far more frequently in Asia than I ever did in the US, and when I drink, I smoke lots. People working in Asia generally play much harder than in the US. I don't have any immediate problems but I think it'll catch up with me one day.

Yes ear wax buildup so that they start to itch which sometimes leads to me causing an ear infection by scratching it.. Know quite a few people with this problem.

Food poisoning. Not as much as I once had it, mainly since I cook most of my own food now. Get it once a year or so now.

Fungus on the feet from wearing socks and not letting them breath. I go through a lot of anti fungal cream, especially when I am playing sports to prevent jock-itch and other fungal problems.

Never had dandruff before I arrived. Have it now.

Conjuntivitis of the eye from the dust near my old place of work. Helped when I move to the burbs.

Also a serious problem of getting a hard on most of the day when seeing the office girls :o

Hair and fingernails grow really really fast compared to home.

Archived