expat ailments

pattaya127

Same here! Some incredible ear wax problems. Pretty annoying. :cussing:

No problems with the Bangkok cough though. Must be smoking a pack of cig a day that clears the throat. ::

Other than that...only minor problems occasionally with fungus/warts on the back of my neck and an itchy crotch. Both of which -- I hope :o -- have been caused by the hot & humid climate (and probably from riding a motorcycle for excessive periods of time....crotching a hot engine and a full face helmet on the head).

And of course; food poison three times. One time pretty serious.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Not an expat but been out here this time for best part of month.

Normally ok in Thailand. Here in Philippines have had excess earwax, ear infection and when that cleared up and wax sucked out discovered got a perforated ear drum. :(Pollution here, especialy Manila, is appalling. There is so much shit in the air that I've also just got conjunctivitis. They call it red eye. Stings and itches like a bastard. ::Even up in Baguio in the mountains there are lots of fumes from fires and vulcanizing shops.

A variety of skin problems - mostly red spots on the arms and legs that go away after a a week of applying a prescribed cream, but also occasinally blisters on the fingers (another ointment for those), some sparse but aggressive pimples (a lotion for those) and reddened and painful Keloid Scars from old injuries.

Never had these before coming here. Too much heat and humidity from what I can tell. Most of these got a lot bettet when we moved from the un-airconditioned house upcountry to an airconditioned apartmenet in Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

Sarisin,

Can't help you on how to cure existing foot problems, but once the Docs fix you up you might want to take a look at getting "Ecco" shoes. Their "Track" model is the most awesome walking shoe I have ever worn. I'm talking about walking city streets for 10-12 hours in a day. At end of the day my legs and back were tired and sore as hell but the feet never hurt. These shoes were even more protective of my feet than my New Balance running shoes.

You can go on Ecco's website, Ecco.com, and find the address and phone number for their Thailand outlet:

"ECCO Factory Outlet Thailand"

113 Moo 4, Saharattananakorn Estate, Tambon Bangpraku, Amphur Nakornluang

13260 Ayutthaya

Phone: +66 0 35 71 66 01

Fax: +66 0 35 71 66 15 - 6

Hope this helps.

Searcher

lazyphil said:

Putting my jealousy aside of expats aside :o--I get a cough in bkk after just a few weeks in bkk--

Strange, having lived in Bkk a long, long time I have no respiratory problems at all, never had. Try a week in Kathmandu or Delhi though, then you'll know what air pollution really feels like.

• 2 weeks later...

Sarisin,

You may want to have a podiatrist check your feet and gait out to see if you could benefit from custom orthotics. The ones I got in the States were made from a mold of my feet and are made of lightweight but strong plastic. They have been of great help to my aching feet. Can't imagine going without them now.

Archived