Friend needs visitors in Bang Kwang

Fidel

personally, it is stupid to commit an offense which carries such a huge fine.

nevertheless - i do find it funny how everybody jumps on people with drugoffenses. the only difference between alcohol and heroin is that alcohol is legal (and kills a lot more people). are we so brainwashed? most people have at some point of their lives tried illegal drugs, and i would say nearly all use regularly a legal drug.

also, we do not know what has driven the bloke to carry 2.5 kg of smack. was it desparation? was it greed? was it a foolish mistake he now has to pay for the rest of his life?

don't forget drugpolitics please - the reasons that the fines are so high here are less connected to the severety of the offense but more to political and economical pressures.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on the money there Fly.

"don't forget drugpolitics please - the reasons that the fines are so high here are less connected to the severety of the offense but more to political and economical pressures. "

Ain't that just right?

(Kathmandu in the 70's and the bhang shops. 4 million USD made those go away pretty damn quick).

>>>Kathmandu in the 70's and the bhang shops. 4 million USD made those go away pretty damn quick<<<

in cambodia happened more or less the same thing in the mid 90's - given that a lot more pressure was put on to get ganja off the markets than with the growing indentured prostitution it makes me really wonder where our morality is a bit twisted... ;).

here in thailand, when my missus was a child, ganja was not illegal - every house had their plants for their own consume, as they have had for many centuries.

You can probably thank my country's good ole misguided morality of what's good for us is good for the world, we constantly throw money around artificially changing another?s culture to suit our view of a perfect society (while ours burns). ::

Says flyonzewall:

in cambodia happened more or less the same thing in the mid 90's - given that a lot more pressure was put on to get ganja off the markets

Well, in fact this happened at the end of the 90's (definitely after the take-over in 1997). As of today, you are right, the old ladies selling it in front of the Russian market are gone, but it is still widely available (sold in some discos) and used for cooking ("happy pizza") and more or less somewhat tolerated (no problems to find the smell some times during an evening).

However, there is a change being asked for some USD from the police if caught and being a foreigner. And, it is definitely not a good idea consuming it in Cambo, then returning to Thailand and being drug-tested.

Says flyonzewall:

Says Peter1964:

Sorry, what is the difference between contact-visits and non-contact-visits and does it make sense to visit someone when he is not allowed to be contacted?

contact visits are visits by relatives in a special room where they can touch each other, have food together etc.

normal visits are in the common visitors courtyard. the prisoners are in a long aisle, separated by the visitors ca. 1 or 1.5 meters with two fences and iron bars. very noisy.

Thank you for the info!

>>>Well, in fact this happened at the end of the 90's (definitely after the take-over in 1997). <<<

early 90's it was sold in every market just like any other product, normal restaurants served food spiced with it (as it has been traditionally done all over the area here, also here in thailand some vendors still use it as a taste-enhancer).

I suppose Ganja is just another name for weed and marihuana..? Right..? ::

In case that is.. there is nothing wrong with that. It now is even used as a medicine over here in Holland for MS patients.

And i agree, alcohol is the biggest killer of them all.

It is illegal in almost every country here in SEA and when caught, sentences are very stiff. Even when using at home (where it might be legal/ tolerated) and positively tested during a drug-raid, it is assumed bought and consumed here. So, definitely best idea is to stay away from it!! If in doubt, simply do a search and you will find many examples. Some countries (e.g. Singapore) are making random drug tests at the airport. In Thailand, drug-tests at the nightlife-spots are not uncommon.

Archived