Friend needs visitors in Bang Kwang

Fidel

I have wanted to go and visit some of these guys for sometime now, but forgot the website I found with the details.

Would there be any problems for oneself by going to visit an inmate?

There are only a few things that really get to me and seeing people living like this is one of them. I would imagine visiting these guys would be heartbreaking.. :(

Having said that you do have to be an idiot, or bloody stupid to get involved with crime in Thailand. My heart goes out to those people who have been wrongfully imprisioned.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>My heart goes out to those people who have been wrongfully imprisioned. <<<

very few farang are wrongfully imprisoned here (none of the ones in jail i know have been innocent), but lots of thais are.

Guest lazyphil

If I ever get benevolent feelings towards strangers in LOS I?ll direct my energies towards a Thai orphanage or one of the poor hospitals Thailand must have where the not so Hi-So Thais linger.

Hi Chico,

if you really want to visit someone or write a prisoner a letter then here are my friend's details:

Gary Graeme Jones,

D2, Bang Kwang

117 Nonthaburi Road,

Nonthaburi,

Thailand.

Visiting days are Monday and Wednesday.

TIMES : morning :: 09:30 - 11:30

afternoon :: 13:30 - 14:30

look at this website (bangkwang.net) for more details.

The following directions were taken from www.khaosanroad.com:

Getting there:

From Banglampoo Pier (Khao San) take the big whistling boat going upstream (to the right). It costs 6 Baht to Nonthaburi and takes 40 minutes. Nonthaburi is the last stop and you will recognize it by the white clock tower by the pier and the AMPM convenience store. Jump off the boat and walk straight on - ignore the touts! Take the 1st left and walk about 250 meters. You will see Bang Kwang prison on the right. You will need to go to the registration area on the left...

Dress:

Guys must wear long trousers. Dress respectfully, whatever your sex. It really pisses the guards off girls wearing tiny shorts and vest-tops. Please dress properly because there are rumors the prisoners' visits will stop because of backpackers. Make sure you know exactly who you will call out as well - it annoys the guards when people ask for names they don't know. If you want names you can call the relevant embassies: UK Embassy - 02 305 8333 - ask for Maureen, Kate or Anita. They will not give prisoners' names over the phone though so you will have to go down to the embassy in person to meet them. American Embassy and others may give names over the telephone - I'm not really sure.

Food:

If you bring food from outside put it in a large clear bag. You can buy bags at the registration area cafe for 2 Baht. Write the name of the prisoner you are visiting on the bag. After you have visited the prisoner, you have to hand the food in at the counter (where 100 people or so hang around!). You hand in the original form and your passport. Wait for your passport to come back (usually takes 10 minutes) and off you go.

Books, etc.:

If you want to bring mags, books or papers hand, them into the Foreign Affairs office on the right as you go into the prison area. Leave the prisoner's name and building number on the cover and they'll get them... Don't bring magazines with too many naked pictures in them though - they won't get through. Other info: Please be aware that the prisoners sometimes have family or friends visiting. Look in the registration book to see if someone has already called out the prisoner you are visiting. It's very frustrating for prisoners when they have people they know over and someone randomly chooses to visit them! Beware that in August and December this may occur more often because that's when contact visits take place and families come over... Be very careful at these times. Very few women get visitors and have to rely on missionaries.

He'd appreciate a visit.

Cheers!

Says bigal:

Big bisiness, 100 billion has been spent in u s on the war on drugs, "war on the people".

Guys, while I am more than sympathetic to the issues you raise, there are a few policies of the board that are in danger of being breached, ie drugs and politics. Please keep to the issue at hand, which is prison visits. Sorry, but roolz iz roolz.

Cheers

PS

Archived