Singapore Policeman Gets Two Years for Oral Sex

http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,1227,234161-1-9,00.html

A Singaporean police sergeant has been jailed for two years for having oral sex in a country where prostitution is legal but oral sex is not, a newspaper reportes.

The Straits Times reported that the 27-year-old police coast guard sergeant landed in court after a 16-year-old reported to the police that she had performed oral sex on the man.

She was above the age of consent and agreed to perform the act, but oral sex is against the law in the city-state, the paper says.

"The act by itself is an offence. It is not a question of consent or no consent. Even between consenting people, it is an offence," criminal lawyer Subhas Anandan told the paper.

The maximum punishment for the offence is life imprisonment.

© Reuters

Anyone know WHY it is illegal and if the majority of people there favor this law and feel life imprisonment can be an appropriate sentence? I'd really like to understand this as Singapore prides itself as a country that's on the ball. I've also heard of other laws there like it is illegal to be gay. I do commend them for not caving into pressure and caning the american bloke who spent his leisure time spray painting cars for fun some years back.

Hi Peter,

is prostitution really legal in Singapore? I once met a BG who had been working in a brothel in Singapore for 3 months. She told me they had to work with clothes on - if police raided they didn't have many seconds to look like decent masseuses. :devil:

elef

Yep, afaik in contrast to Thailand, prostitution is legal in Singapore. I think, there has recently even a law been ratified that top-less dancing is now allowed.

Prostitution is legal in designated areas (e.g., Geylang). One I asked a Singapore gummint official why this is so. He replied that it was good for business as travelling businessmen liked hookers. Can't argue with that logic, especially in Asia!

That young lady you referred to must have worked in a non-designated area. Also FYI, Playboy magazine and the like are also illegal.

Despite all that I always have a good time in Sillypore!

Cheers,

SD

Archived