Bargirls - are they all hookers?

Right,

After reading that post about bargirl's wages, I need to know one thing. Are ALL the girls that work in these bars hookers? I'm talking particularly about places like the Chaweng road on Koh Samui. Would ALL of the girls working in these bars be hookers? Is it possible for non-hookers to work in these bars? Is there an agreement before employment takes place? Do you have to be hooker when you are employed?

I'm sorry if there is an obvious answer to this but I'm a newbie!

Thanks

Not a stupid comment. I know that in Pattaya, some girls work in bars and do not go with customers, or at least do not have to fill a quota if they don't want to. Either they are waiting for the visa papers to be ready because they marry a farang, or they are still young and timid and slowly learning the ropes, or they are acquainted to the bar owners. NEP is foreign territory for me, but i sense that in Pattaya, bars are more laid-back in their handling of the business. Not a rule probably, either way.

Hi Mr E,

It's a fair question. The short answer is yes - but like much in Thailand it gets more complicated!

I have spent a lot of time in Samuii in previous years (mostly Lamaii) - but not for the last 18 months, so bear this in mind.

It is perfectly possible that some of the girls in the bars do not "work" - to a degree it depends on the type of bar.

As a VERY general rule the more basic / primitive the bar the more likely that all the girls will "work" (apart from the cashier and boss lady). Although like much in Thailand everything is E & OE Some of the girls do not "work" much and others are more keen for the "work".

After a little while it is obvious what type of bar you are in. This does not mean that at least some of the girls in the "better" (?) bars will not "work" as it is often the case that they prefer to work normal bars and then freelance as the need arises - although not all of them do.

(BTW their aren't just two clearly defined types of bars!)

I have met a good few who clearly didn't work - and who did not just tell me this because they thought I was a drunken smelly git! (when you are around for months at a time you tend to pick up on things which get missed during a brief stay - basically because the girls can't be bothered to keep up the BS for that long.......for no reason)

One more thing........

If you are already involved with a girl who claims not to "work" whilst she is in a farang bar, I would not take this at face value.

She MAY not be lying but, if in doubt check her out early as it will save a lot of heartache later (yours NOT hers).

Apologies if I presume too much.

A comment. I am familiar with NEP, the Entertainment Area Formerly known as Clinton Plaza and soi Cowboy. Many of the girls, even after years of working in the bars do not go with customers....ever. An amazing number only go with a customer if they like him. Do the math...Stay home and make 3,000 Baht a month working in the mud three months a year or come to BKK , stay a virgin and make 10,000 Baht per month for drinking Cola (Cola is nice and costs money back home). Plus, there is always the possiblity that you could meet a nice man with money who will lovingly take care of you and your family for life (Well, we all have our fantasies too don't we?)

Uhhhhh, can you gove me a minute to decide?

Originally posted by nepfan:

[QB]A comment. I am familiar with NEP, the Entertainment Area Formerly known as Clinton Plaza and soi Cowboy. Many of the girls, even after years of working in the bars do not go with customers....ever. An amazing number only go with a customer if they like him. Do the math...Stay home and make 3,000 Baht a month working in the mud three months a year or come to BKK , stay a virgin and make 10,000 Baht per month for drinking Cola (Cola is nice and costs money back home). Plus, there is always the possiblity that you could meet a nice man with money who will lovingly take care of you and your family for life (Well, we all have our fantasies too don't we?)

Yes i agree with you. Many girls new or long

time in the barbeer business don't need or want to go with customers and could meet one

day a nice man.

I've often wondered why there are so many

girls working in various beer bars, in which

a significant fraction show very little interest in meeting guys. I'd say very

roughly, on average, about a quarter of the

girls sitting around "working" in a bar

aren't available for take-out. So what

are they doing there? Are they really making any more than just a few baht per

night just sitting around? (I didn't understand what nepfan said about making money drinking cola or whether that was relevant to my question).

Hi,

The thing is that these girls can still make more money dancing and not (or hardly) going out with customers than if they would be busting their ass in a factory/sweatshop for 12 hours a day.

Take nepfan's example:

"Dancer Topless 7000-9000 (5 -12 offs per month or salary is cut 200 to 500 Baht per missed off)"

The girl gets 7,000 Baht, no offs, so deduct say a 3,000 Baht cut. This leaves her with 4,000 Baht, add her commission on ladydrinks, say 100 Baht a day, and she makes 7,000 Baht a month.

Working in a factory she would probably make only slightly more than half that.

Sanuk!

Archived