sending $$ to myself from USA to BKK

OCgringo

say I needed to buy a buffalo or something (just kidding :: ::)

whay is the best way to send myself some money from the USA ?

Western Union or ????

do not have a credit card that is good so that is out

Anything else ?

this is just a back-up , I plan on bringing enough money,

but I am always looking to buy things (old motorcycles etc) that are a good deal

and may need extra cash

thanks for your help.....again

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, I don't have a better idea...it'll take you five minutes and a few hundred baht to open an account -- sending a wire is also cheaper than Western Union...

Don't bring a foreign check here though...it can take several weeks up to a month or two to cash it (and you need a bank account ;)).

What about having someone send you travellers cheques?

If you have a bank account don't you have an atm or debit/check card? They can be used here if linked to Cirrus/Plus or Visa etc. That is by far the best way to obtain money most anywhere these days. If you don't there are a number of services that sell prepaid visa type cards for travelers available on the internet. Even some banks may do this now. Also travelers checks are still an option, especially if you get them free.

If you have someone that can send you Western Union you can also use that; but costs will be higher.

It only takes a few minutes to open a passbook savings account here that would allow wire transfers if you are talking large amounts. But you would have to have a wire transfer agreement signed and on file with your home bank first. If you have that you could probably phone a transfer. But they normally take 36 hours or so Western Union would be much faster.

thanks for your advise guys

I thught it was a big hassle to open an account , that you had to be a resident with proper visa etc

the problem would be that I would be in BBK ,

I could call my friends back in the USA and borrow a couple $1000 to buy a bike etc,

but how to get it to me fast enough.

what do you need to open a savings account ?

just a passport ?

Passport and about 500 baht to open the account many places. If first branch does not want to open go to next. There are hundreds in Bangkok.

You may want to check further about buying a bike. If you are shipping are you sure you can (import/export regulations and emissions)? If riding or shipping are you sure you can buy period?

Get your friends to move the money into your account in farangland over the net.

1. Don't believe he admits to having a bank account. ::

2. If he has ATM card on a US account suspect it is not going to allow more than a few hundred dollars withdrawal per day - Americans use checks/not cash. Seems he will need a few thousand.

If he has time this could work - but have to remember some US banks make limits for weekends and times will not match up here - very likely to get somewhat nasty messages from the ATM program.

I've never heard of a weekend limit. ATM $500 per day withdrawal is pretty standard. 4 days=80000 baht. ATM is real easy and gets a good exchange, though I would expect it will trigger the CC company wanting to "verify recent activity on the card"--and that's a good thing.

Archived