sending $$ to myself from USA to BKK

OCgringo

If you have an amercian express gold card, you can cash a US printed check for up to $2500 every 21 days. It must be into thai baht

The exchange rate is at the current US dollar-thai baht exchange. There is no service or extra tansaction charges.

I have been doing this practice for close to 4 years on a monthly basis. I take my haul and deposit into my local thai account.

This way i keep all monies at home except for what i expect to spend in a month here.

I have never used my american atm card in LOS; only have for emergencies...

cardinalblue

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't think that SWIFT transfers go through NY office

Have not checked the local receipt here recently but two years ago that Swift route was via the NY office and that office deducted $5 from the total transfer before sending it to Bangkok for conversion to baht and onward credit to account.

Hello,

I still yet have not figured out this "Swift" code thing. Our credit union must use the routing number for a bank in NY (representing the KrungThai Bank) which was explained to me in English by the Thai bank that the code for transferring is the routing number. The routing number was for the USA to track the wired(transferred) money and the NY bank did not charge anything.

I got the explanation what the "Swift" code was used for domestic transfer(wiring) in Thailand. Confusing, really, even now, I am not sure about the Swift code.

Jasmine

Says jasmine:

Hello,

I still yet have not figured out this "Swift" code thing...

I got the explanation what the "Swift" code was used for domestic transfer(wiring) in Thailand. Confusing, really, even now, I am not sure about the Swift code.

SWIFT is an international wiring system. It's of course (often) not used in the U.S, which has their own wiring set-up, Federal What-Ever.

As for SWIFT it's not unusual for smaller banks to use a wire route with a correspondent bank (which handles the money for the beneficiary bank).

Any limits regarding daily, weekly or monthly withdrawals can be changed by the issuing bank with advance warning.

Things like this are a hang over from when they didn't have the ability to instantly check a balance on the account and as such, had to limit withdrawals. Additional problems were encountered with machinees holding low denomination notes and then running out of money.

Citibank good for GBP 2500 per day although the machines often cannot handle paying out more than GBP 500 at a time. HSBC good for GBP 1000 per day for account and credit cards. No other limits apply.

Watch out though. Some machines in LOS cannot handle more than 20/25 notes at one time.

"Things like this are a hang over from when they didn't have the ability to instantly check a balance on the account and as such, had to limit withdrawals. "

That is probably true. It also helps limit their loss when the card and PIN gets stolen.

"Watch out though. Some machines in LOS cannot handle more than 20/25 notes at one time"

In some 2 years living in Thailand and over 5 altogether in Asia I have yet to find an ATM that will give more then 25 notes at one time. What I do is just stick the card back in again and get 25 more notes. This works up to the limit my bank allows (which cannot be changed).

I have a friend that banks with a Channel Isle bank. I have watched him take 250K baht out of an ATM (in Thailand). It took him something like 12 go's to do it. (His bank doesn't charge any ATM fee). He did, later that day, get a phone call from his banker asking if everything was ok. It seems that British based banks are much more liberal in their limits.

TH

well liberal the british may be(unlikely!), but B250k seems a bit over the top??? no british bank I'm aware of would even close to allow that withdrawn from a maschine in the UK let alone abroad :dunno:

recently I had to phone some 15 branches of my bank to find one that would allow GBP3400 to be withdrawn over the counter & that still amounts to less than B250k :eek:

Says ib13:

well liberal the british may be(unlikely!), but B250k seems a bit over the top??? no british bank I'm aware of would even close to allow that withdrawn from a maschine in the UK let alone abroad
:dunno:

recently I had to phone some 15 branches of my bank to find one that would allow GBP3400 to be withdrawn over the counter & that still amounts to less than B250k
:eek:

I believe the [color:"blue"] a Channel Isle bank [/color] may be an offshore account. Ones in the Caribbean allow a 10K Us withdrawal so that's 400 k baht.

Mind you there is one small catch :rolleyes: you have to have that much it in your account . :banghead:

Archived