sending $$ to myself from USA to BKK

OCgringo

My Bank of America accounts have a $500 a day limit, $750 limit in any week. As you pointed out, with time difference it is difficult to figure out when the week ends. Helps to have multiple cards, both ATM and CC.

One issue I have experienced is actually trying to get a US Bank to make an international wire transfer. Often bank branch personnel don't even know (or won't admit) they can even do them.

The transfers are complete in less then 36 hours (mostly less). This is true to account at the main Bangkok Bank office, other banks my take longer as I understand all wire transfers go to Bangkok Bank first and are then sent to other banks. Have heard that Bangkok Bank has been accused of sometimes holding the money for a day or so.

TH

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never heard of a weekend limit

Now you have. ::

You may currently withdraw the lesser of $500.00 per card or $600.00 per account on any weekday, Tuesday through Friday. The limit for weekend, Saturday through Monday, is the lesser of $!,000.00 per card or $1,200.00 per account. For the purposes of these limits, federal holidays are considered to be an extension of the prior day

Am in agreement with you that atm's are great and use them often but the time difference can be a problem and having a bank cut you off because you are not at home to answer their phone call about "use in Bangkok" would not be a good idea in my book.

thanks for your advise,

the few times I have had my bank transfer money to europe it was far from Instant !

in fact if I was lucky it only took 3-4 days

Also if you do not have normal withdrawels from your ATM card,

and all of the sudden large amounts are being withdrawn

the bank may block your card , until they can get in contact with you to confirm

the USA uses checks , its not like Europe where everything is transfered between accounts,

If you're planning on shipping a motorcycle back to the US from Thailand, you should remove the engine from the frame, drain the gas/oil, and pack it in a box - check it as luggage.

Ship the frame separately.

A friend of mine who works at customs recently told me someone tried to import a bike from Thailand, and was told it had to be inspected and tested by the DOT for emessions, safety, etc. before they would released it to him.

Interesting points.

In actuality wire transfers on the major networks ( Swift and ??) take less than 22 minutes form process to delivery and confirmation. There can be delays in the origin ( many banks don't process on weekends, holidays etc.) or at the receiving end...especially with any bank outside the main office branch usually in Bangkok. Some of the delays may be legit, but often are a local managers scam money. (they put the transfer into their 'personal' holding account and collect the overnight deposit rate interst on it. Arghhh) I used to do transfers almost daily as a buyer for several retails and it is MUCH better these days.

Still the ATM route is the way to go. If one is concerned, you should contact your local branch before departure and arrange higher daily withdrawal limits and inform them (and your CC card companies) that you will be in LOS or where ever for a given period of time. I have never had a problem when I have done this...... currently I have $1000 daily $4000 weekly limit, but could raise it if necessary.

Shit if I ever spend that much of my money, I better have had a good time. :grinyes:

Bank of America has a branch in BKK!

BANK OF AMERICA BANGKOK BRANCH

Country Manager: Mr. Frederick Chin

2/2 Wireless Road, Bank of America Center

Bangkok 10330

Tel: 662-251-6333

Fax: 662-253-1905

I have wondered how that transfer would work, but have not needed to yet. If you find out by buying that buff errrr... motor bike, let me know if direct withdrawls are available from US branches of B of A.

In actuality wire transfers on the major networks ( Swift and ??) take less than 22 minutes form process to delivery and confirmation.

Perhaps if both places had the same workday and the transfer was direct. But believe most of us are talking about it getting credited into our account - which in the case of wire transfers is not immediate. What we need is a Visa type real time debit system. ::

AFAIK there is no 24 hour banking here in Thailand, so there will almost always be a delay longer than minutes. For Bangkok Bank transfers those made in the USA first go to their New York office for a $5 haircut before being sent onward. I seriously doubt their time to process is measured in minutes and probably next day unless very early in the morning.

Only 4k a week? Surly you can find more excitement than that. You don't want to be called a cheap Charlie. :grinyes:

"For Bangkok Bank transfers those made in the USA first go to their New York office for a $5 haircut before being sent onward. "

I don't think that SWIFT transfers go through NY office. I did a transfer 4 months ago that I thought used the NY office Federal Reserve number, contacted the NY office (very helpful person at that end) who tried to find the transfer but couldn't find any record of it. My wife then called Bangkok office and the money was already there. Turns out the transfer was done using the SWIFT code (BKKBTHBK) and aas near as I can see never went to NY branch.

Did a SWIFT transfer last month, money was in our account the next day (actually same day as in US). :applause: Should note that our account is with Main Office.

TH

Archived