BKK needs Denny's!

I would prefer to see individually owned and operated places as opposed to corporate owned places where the food all tastes the same, and the place is void of any personality and uniqueness.

Hi OH,

I think many chain and franchise restaurants are unique in LOS, maybe not intensionally, but I do experience very large differences in both service, food quality and even the food menu. While one outlet is great, another one is consistently bad, but yes, I know what you mean and I agree with you.

Every time I have visited california I always think, arent there any restaurants thats not a franchise? Do enjoy the Wings'n Rings chains though.

Best regards,

Danish30

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Every time I have visited california I always think, arent there any restaurants thats not a franchise?..."

This sort of where I am going with this.I just hate to see corporate chains taking over, as they have in SFO for example. Years ago, the city (SFO) was filled with individually owned places, and all had to have good food and service to stay in business. Now, thanks to the influx of silicon valley yuppie scum, and their fucked up values, all we have are starbucks Round Tables etc...a lot of neighborhodd personality is gone, and a lot of good people put out of business.

I do agree that BKK especially lower Sukhumvit would benifet from a 24 hour dinner type place. O.k. let's get all the Philly and Jersey guys together, and show them how it is done! :)

One thing I've noticed having lived and travelled through the world is that restaurants and food places run by natives of the food type's home country tend to be much better than those run by locals.

Thus, the chinese cannot cook chips to save their lives (remembering teenage times in the UK) but they do blinding chinese food. The indian sub continent provide the best indian curries even when faced with pissed up customers ordering gungadin to hurry up. the best italina restaurants are run by italians etc.

Same same thai restaurants. The best are run by thais and the very best are in Thailand. Also, no way would I trust some dodgy unwashed farang to serve me up sushi or sashimi after a day's training at catering college !

Therefore, would a greasy spoon (the UK version of a diner) work in LOS ? Sure it would, if it was run by brits (yanks for the diner etc.) and they imported brit sausages, bacon and bread so that the customers didn't have to eat the local produce.

Whilst you may think that extreme. In Mallorca, Spain, they do indeed fly in british sausages, bacon and bread for the tourists and expats as the local equivalent, whilst great in its own dishes, it just shit for the great british breakfast.

[color:"blue"]restaurants and food places run by natives of the food type's home country tend to be much better than those run by locals.

[/color]

Overall, I would agree, but 'locals' can also be trained to cook any style that the owner/manager wants to spend the effort teaching them. I know Thai cooks that do excellent German, English and other styles. Better in fact than most natives from these places as they don't have preconceived notions of what is 'right' or 'wrong'. It's all training and most managers have neither the skills nor patience to do it well.

[color:"blue"] and they imported brit sausages, bacon and bread so that the customers didn't have to eat the local produce.

[/color]

Absolutely not necessary. In addition to several major meat packers that will do custom orders there a many local (although expat operated) butchers who have awesome products and will even produce to your recipies. Again, managers, by and large, do not have the specialized knowledge nor interest to do more than than buy 'off the shelf'. I have sources for top quality German and English foods that would put most of the 'home country' products to shame.

Archived