BKK needs Denny's!

Ok ok, before a Thai culinary jihad ensues, hear me out or at least read the thread.

I'd like to get a list going of 24 hour or after hours diner joints. Specifically indoor establishments. Fare or cuisine doesn't matter; Thai, western, japanese, whatever. Just as long as it's an indoor place with air-con and maybe some couches.

Here are the meager 3 that I know of... btw, please don't mention your favorite neighborhood food stand/stall and their soi street numbers. Yes I am aware of them and that's not the point of this thread. I'm looking to list 24hr diner-esque joints.

1. Landmark coffee shop(Congee and Noodles): great chinese food and also has a western food menu

2. Subway: between Landmark and soi 4. umm... sandwiches.

3. Siam Hotel: also a freelancer pickup joint(thai style). pretty decent Thai and Chinese food.

Ok, back on the Denny's thing. I miss the Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast and The Sampler for post-clubbing grub. You can talk smack about the virtues of Thai food vs. American "junk food", but the convenience of Denny's is unbeatable for after hours munchies. One can shoot the shit(ino: sober up :drunk: ) with endless coffee(ya it's no good, but cheap!) refills and plates of carb overloaded vittles. Plus, you can have breakfast at any time of day! Yay!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, HERE it is:

http://www.p7a77.net/dennys/viewer/view-th.html

"Denny's Siam betrays some the cardinal principles of the fine franchise, and is disappointingly uncamp. There is no chrome, vinyl, or booths. There IS white wine prominently displayed, and a parquet floor for frick's sake. The place painfully tries to imitate all the swank and sterility of a hotel restaurant, and unfortunately succeeds. Neither of us went for the ``Guam Slam,'' which looked like just egg on rice encircled with mini-sausages. The Asian Specialties section featured Phad Thai as well as Nasi Goreng from Indonesia. The staff was more interested in the LOUD Thai soap opera on tv playing in the background. The fat value tax and service charge climaxed the pretentiousness and undinerliness of the joint. We were the only ones there the whole time. Dennys and diners simply aren't done here. Western culinary imports, including KFC and McD's, are seen here as an exciting opportunity to engage the finest of high-class Western Civilization, and certainly not a blue-collar/poverty-stricken college student affair. The flashing red and green neon sign outside wasn't bad though." - written prior to September, 1999

Great post, Rasputin! I was thinking that something like this would go over on lower Sukhumvit, especially with the bars dumping out at 2am.

I was wondering what business is like in Subway's during the wee hours of the morning with their 24-hour service. The place always seems to have a nice amount of customers when I walk past around dinner and lunch time.

By the way, another failed business in Bangkok (and Pattaya) similar to Denny's was Bob's Big Boy. No Grand Slam Breakfast deal, but a reasonable breakfast and open late hours. I think that was on Suk 39, if I recall.

What would really be nice would be Shoney's. :)

I agree that living here you do eat and love a lot of Thai food, but it is nice to have other options available. That is why I often stray from my low-carb diet occasionally, and enjoy a great sandwich at Subway. The board member who opened that place near Soi Nana really deserves a hearty round of applause - as well, as our business too. :applause:

The service in that Subway is above and beyond what you might expect in a joint with Thai employees, and the food quality is very, very good too!

But, a Denny's sure would be nice... Or, maybe an IHOP? Are they still around?

Says Old Hippie:

Denny's sucks! BKK does not need any more Farang franchises! If you want to eat this crap, say your money and eat cardboard, it tastes better, and is more nutrious.

Please please, don't make this into a "I h8 all Farang food and I lub Thai food too mutt" thread. Everyone has their culinary opinions, but like Mr. Sarasin says, one would like to have options.

It's just as easy for a BKK resident to complain about not having options nearby except for Thai food stalls as an American would, by saying that there are too many Denny's around in their neighborhood.

Carboard tastes better than Denny's hotcakes? :: hmmn, I dunno about that. Nutritious? Oh come on... Thai food isn't as healthy as many farangs assume. It's still got bad crap in it(ie. method of cooking and oil used), the difference is the portions.

No more American franchises? Hmmn... I've never seen any culinary jihads against Coffee World, Au Bon Pain, or even Starbucks. All of which Farangs(tourist and residents alike) and Thais seem to enjoy immensly. I'm pretty sure that a bunch of "Denny's" around aren't going to put the food stalls/carts out of business, if the "big bad western franchise" justification arises.

My search or wish isn't for franchises. It's just that I want a franchise-like 24hr convenience. I could care less if it was "Somchai's Diner", just as long as it's indoors, air-conned, comfy couches, western AND thai fare, and endless coffee refills. I'm not expecting "Peet's" coffee quality neither. Sanka or Folgers would be just as good, especially when most would be inebriated while engulfing it.

big kahuna,

I think it's all about timing and location. Just like Subway, it's the 2nd incarnation I believe. I think that the location at Siam was ok, but the timing really made it fail. Plus the window dressing of making it some kind of Americana Hi-So epicurean delite was retarded.

They should of made it a "Lenny's", screw the franchise but basically carbon-copy the menu and motif. They do it all the time here. Then you can get away with serving the food at a normal cost.

Hi Rasputin;

Well to the shock of many of my culinary friends, I agree with you. :grinyes:

Actually I have been involved in some of the pre-planning of what we refer to as an "American Diner". No doubt this is what you, and I believe many others, are looking for. Nothing pretentious, 24hr breakfast, Blue Plate specials, GOOD burgers, mashed potatoes, .......... all the things many of us crave when IN LOS. While not expecting a huge Thai interest in a lot of this, desserts, waffles, and a few Thai dishes would attract a following.

I believe there are multiple location opportunities for such an operation in LOS ........... particlarly in tourist locales. As always finding the startup capital for the first one is the stumbling block, although we have had some interest shown. If anyone is seriously interested in such a venture, I would be pleased to talk with them at any time.

Hope someone does it. :beer:

LaoHuLi,

I'm glad to hear you're venturing in this business. Yes, I truly believe that western diners would work in BKK currently. Location is of utmost importance. High Farang tourist traffic would be the most ideal. On Sukumvit, the Subway has the most ideal location. Siam and MBK would also be great venues, inside the complexes though and relatively close to entrances. Target Farangs. They'll come I assure you, no matter how adamant their love for Thai food.

OH, the day you become an expat resident here, and I know that day will come, you will change your view.

I guarantee you that I love Thai food just as much as you or any board member. I eat it at least once daily.

However, just imagine if I told you back there your home town that you would have to eat, oh say, tacos every damn day and nothing else. All of the restaurants magically overnight became taco restaurants. You really, really like tacos, but how would you feel if that was the only choice?

Probably like a taco-hater.

Yes, there are some excellent choices in cuisine here in the LOS. However, what's wrong with having more? I'm sure I would not march into a Denny's every morning at 7am and demand a Grand Slam Breakfast. But, it sure would be nice to know there is one waiting for me if I want it.

Rasputin is just thinking outside the box here with his suggestion, and I think that is great.

True, the market for such a venture would target farangs and farang heavily-traveled areas. But, here's another thought...

As much as you purists out there might hate it, the Thais are really moving towards farang eateries and such. The straight girls I date almost never want to go out for Thai food. No, they can do that alone or with their Thai friends. They all want to go out for Western fast food or to a nice western restaurant.

Think they might like a Denny's? Bet on it. If for nothing else, for the novelty and curiosity, and, here's a biggie - the 'status' of going to a western new and trendy place. Denny's trendy? I think it would be for at least a while in Thailand.

So, yes, your regular customers would be farang, but you would get some Thai and other Asians too. Just look at western fast food restaurants, Starbucks, etc.

Anyway, I can taste that large stack of pancakes with maple syrup now.... ;)

Archived