Visa runs: Thousands cross at new checkpoint

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=10&tt_news=611

Visa runs: Thousands cross at new checkpoint

Thousands cross at new checkpoint

Alternative point of entry to Cambodia

SI SA KET: Thousands of people living on either side of the Cambodian border crossed paths on Tuesday as a permanent checkpoint in Phu Sing district was opened to the public.

The Sa-ngam-Anlong Veng checkpoint was officially opened during a ceremony presided over by Si Sa Ket governor Thanom Songserm, and Lai Veera, his counterpart from the neighbouring Cambodian province of Oddar Meanchey.

The crossing was upgraded to a permanent checkpoint under a recent bilateral agreement to promote border trade, investment and tourism. It would be opened daily, from 7am to 8pm.

Provincial tourism association chairperson Kanlayanee Thammajaree said the checkpoint provided an alternative gateway to several ancient Khmer historical sites, including Angkor Wat.

Mr Thanom said the area around the border had mostly been cleared by de-mining teams.

In addition, Northeast tourism chief Charnwit Nakhasuwan said the region had earned a total of about 6 billion baht from tourists so far this year.

The number of visitors to the lower Northeast skyrocketed during the period surrounding the Apec summit in October, with revenue topping 50 million baht, he said.

Source: Bangkok Post

"Mr Thanom said the area around the border had mostly been cleared by de-mining teams."

LOL, TIT! So that means that there are still a few around. Be careful out there kids! I saw a cow get blown up by a landmine in Cambodia in 1997. Not pretty...

Cheers,

SD

Peter---

hummm.. something about that catch word "mostly" makes me a bit uneasy... specially when used in conjunction with the expression "mostly cleared of land mines".. I'd feel better with a phrase like "totally" or better yet "100%"... A similar experience.. Three weeks while leaving BKK we ready for (tug) pushed back from the cargo compex. We asked for clearance from the ground staff and tug operator and the response was that it was "mostly clear for a moment.. ok for push back".... needless to stay we waited for a more "clear" moment...

--UPSer

The number of visitors to the lower Northeast skyrocketed during the period surrounding the Apec summit in October, with revenue topping 50 million baht, he said.

Skyrocketed ? Did anyone living in "the lower Northeast" see any increase in tourist arrivals, or is this visitor increase most probably attributed to Bangkok residents who had an extended holiday and went home?

The estimated COST to host the APEC event is between 1 BILLION and 2 BILLION baht, however the actual figures will most probably never be known. All in all, the event was incredibly well planned and executed.

Agreed the wording 'mostly' is a bit funny considering the subject at hand, but then again with thousands of people already using the same grounds to cross there's no reason why somke grenade will all of a sudden go off when you or me choose to cross is there?

Overall great news for the visa run people I guess :p

Archived