World Cup Play-Offs.

sayjann

an important weekend for British Football.

Wales and Scotland will be trying their hardest to qualify for Euro 2004.

Wales are the perennial failures,not qualified for a major tournament since 1958.

they face Russia in Moscow and do they have a chance?.

Russia are not the team they used to be before the break-up of the Soviet States and could Wales finally do it?.

i would like to see Wales get through so that players like Giggs could have his oppurtunity to strut their stuff in an international tournament.

Scotland have a harder job on paper.

the Dutch are a very talented squad,but always seem to distruct at the important moments.

to me thay have a great squad like the Spaniards and Portugese,but cannot produce when it matters.

Euro 1996 was a total fuck up with racist allegations causing the withdrawal/ommisions of players which did not help their cause.

now there are stories of a rift between ex Ajax/PSV players which is causing problems in the build-up.

Bergkamp(Ajax) has had a pop at Van Nistelrooy(PSV) about his ommission and he should grow up and accept being substituted is no problem.

this from a man who has undermined Holland's and Arsenal's success because he is scared to walk from the South Terminal to the North Terminal at Gatwick....... :doah:

the Dutch may be in turmoil and does this help the Scots?.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wales - Russia

Russia are probably favorites but Wales have done pretty well in the group with Italy.

Russia seem to be on their way up again after having struggled for quite a few years. Same goes for Wales.

I see Russia as light favorites but wouldn't be surprised at all to see Wales in Portugal next year. I hope they make it :up:

Scotland - Holland

You're right that Holland fail to show the goods at important moments but, with all due respect, not against nations like Scotland.

Scotland have played very well and Holland ...well..not :)

Still I don't see any other nation than Holland in next year's tournament.

Ok, I'll buy you a :beer: if Holland fail to qualify. And I'll buy you two if they do ::

Is Wales at full strength, I thought I read somewhere that a few key players are out? Davies and Bellamy I think. They need a full squad to get a result. A win is unlikely but a draw is very possible.

Intersting take on the Dutch problems. Didn't know it was an Ajax/Eindhoven war. Wasn't it Davids that bitch slapped RVN? Okay, maybe not bitch slapped (the Arsenal in me picturing it)but they did have an 'altercation'. Davids came through the Ajax youth system I believe so maybe there is something to this. Never thought of that angle though. Probably the most talented country never to win the World Cup. I bought some old DVDs of old world cups and they were phenominal especially the early '70s team.

Bellamy is out,another operation on his bad knee.

3rd one i think?.

also trouble at Newcastle with Sir Bobby getting pissed off with him returning from International Duty with injuries and missing Newcastle games.

a media report from Thursdays paper in the UK.

'Hollands attempt to overcome Scotland and qualify for Euro 2004 is being hampered by a new state of racial tension within the squad.

the exclusion of RVN from the starting line-up in favour of Kluivert is seen by some members of the squad as a manifestation of the power wielded by an alliance of black players who are the nucleus of the team.

Davids,Seedorf,Reiziger and Kluivert are from Surinam and form the axis of the self-styled Kabul group,which has it's foundation in the friendship fostered when they were in the Ajax side which won the CL in 1995.

but they have have since been confronted by a set of rivals,namely players with a connection with PSV.

Van Bommel,Cocu,Stam and RVN all played for PSV where ironically Advocaat was manager before joining Rangers.

former Dutch international Arthur Numan admitted the problems which undermined the Dutch challenge in Euro 96 still cause friction.

he said "there are ethnic strains inside the squad which never seem to go away.

it's hard to explainbut it's to do with certain attitudes among certain players".

these divisions have been going on for years and it is such a shame.

the Dutch probably have the most gifted squad of players for many a year but they just can't get things right.

they should be winning things all the time.

if Holland fail to qualify,Advocaat is history because of his style of management.

The difference between Kluivert and RVN in the Dutch national team is, that Kluivert scores onm a regular base and RVN doesn't.

The same as RVN goes for Hasselbaink and Makaay, they score easily for their clubterams but can't seem to put them away as soon as they put on an Orange shirt.

The players from Surinam are called the Kabel and not Kabul!!

Kabel would translate into Rope possibly.

RVN seems to have developed an attitude recently in the national squad. Since he doesn't score, he's been substituted and the last time around, he's made gestures of dissatisfaction towards the coach, which resulted in not being called up twice.

If he would put the goals away he could have a point, but he doesn't, unfortunately.

Anyway, all not too promising and helpfull for the games, but Holland should be able to qualify.

Anybody knows on what channel the game will be tonight?

Allthough with the rain it's unlikely you can see anything at all.

Could be famous last words, but I feel far too much is being made of the strong personalities of the Dutch players. I think if Scotland do not concede they will have done a good days work. Even at 0-0 they would be in with a shout in the Amsterdam Arena.

Much as I would love Wales to qualify, I fear the worst. They are missing good players and their form in last 4 games has been poor. Russia have come into form, and I expect them to go through.

Can't really see either of them going through ..

The Dutch, despite the usual squabbles, will be far too strong for the Jocks. They aren't a particularly good team at the moment and struggled against Lithuania to get to these play offs.

The Clogs to win both legs .. easily.

The Welsh have a slightly better chance, but going to Moscow at this time of the year is not going to be easy. Fancy the Ruskies to get a 2 or 3 goal advantage here, which should be enough to take to Cardiff next week.

For a potential upset, I think the Norwegians could give Spain a couple of hard games.

Cheers

K.

Archived