Most Embarrassing Record in Your "Collection"?

Fiery Jack

I was just clearing out my garden shed, waiting for the pub to open :beer:, and figuring I might be able to palm off some of my old vinyl junk at the "used and exchange" record shop down the road (the one full of old Smiths singles :up: (with black and white picture covers of poofters :down:)). It seemed a pretty timely and logical thing to do in terms of the progression of my "adult" life, since I haven't owned a turntable for at least ten years :rolleyes:).

I must say, my heart was was deeply troubled at some of the ancient relics I uncovered. Christ, talk about some howlers I must once have passed over hard cash for: Bauhaus (live), anyone?! Hey, there's Tom Robinson's first album! And his second! :o Oh no ? one of Leonard Cohen's during his synth-pop period. :nono: Lou Reed's unlistenable "Metal Machine Music"! :dunno: An EP by The Cars! Laurie Anderson's "O Superman"! :doah: A pompously-titled, sullen-looking old Sisters of Mercy 12"er I can't remember ever playing but whose black cardboard cover probably came in damned handy as a sturdy makeshift surface for rolling left-handed fags on at various late-nite get-togethers. :drunk: And, saddest of all, a Tracey Chapman LP still lonely in its uncracked clingfilm and a 1.99 bargain-bin sticker on. :(

I also appear to have decided to throw my money towards, at some misguided juncture of my addled travels, a single by Mr. Rolf Harris called "Two Little Boys" :hubba: which, now I come to think of it is quite likely to have the CID boys knocking on my door should the subject of my owning it become common knowledge round our way. :o (That, coupled with the alarming discovery that its back-cover blurb trumpets the fact that "Two Little Boys" it is Harris's "follow-up smash" to a previous Harris number entitled "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport". :doah: Jesus ? what does old Rolf put on his passport? :clown: Gary Glitter, anyone? :cussing:)

But the one that really takes the biscuit, and had me holding my head and gently weeping for about 20 minutes as I blew the dust off it and pissed myself laughing at the song-titles, was the Gary Numan live double box set: "Living Ornaments (1978-79)". :shhh: How the hell did I ever walk into a record shop straight-faced and ask for that bastard, unless I'd supped two bottles of scotch or it was for a bet?

Skeletons in your closets, boys? Hey, there's a graveyard in mine. Or my garden shed, anyway. :doah:

Anyone beat that pile of shite?

Jack :help:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lazyphil said:

Deep in a closet is a Pet Shop Boys album :o:p:o:p:o--not sure of title but has West end Girls on it

Yeah, I had that one too. Their first, I believe? I also possess (still) the remix job called "Disco" somewhere in there. For, needless to say, the flustered bloke at the second-hand shop told me to shove it where the sun don't shine. Didn't take the first one either. :(

I seem to recall that Bangkok Phil's a Pet Shop Boys fan? Not sure of his motives, like. ::

jack :o

Can't believe I admitted it...but the first step in getting help is to acknowledge you have a problem.

Yup, that's right, Steve baby, let it all hang out brother. :up: Hey, let's shout it to the rafters ? MY NAME IS FIERY JACK AND I HAVE SHITE TASTE IN MUSIC! :beer:

I get the feeling this is gonna be a looooong and theraputic thread. :doah:

(Over to you Old Hippie? ::)

jack :help:

SiLeakHunt said:

Get in touch with Carew 66 he'll pay top dollar for all that sort of stuff.

Just had a flick through my own Vinyll, any offers on a 12 " copy of 2 Unlimted "Get Ready for this"

Cheers

I'll get my coat

Game on! I just uncovered some old "Gay Dad" 12"ers. Appear also to have Baby Bird's "difficult" second album (mint condition: unplayed).

Carew, send me a PM when you're off the "glass pipe". ::

Or, better still, when you're on it. :applause:

jack :help:

Archived